Rush Limbaugh diagnosed with lung cancer

As someone who has (one day at a time) done both, I can attest to the truth of this statement.

When I have time, maybe this weekend, I can link the research. They say that your risk decreases. But that is not accurate. It decreases by comparison if you continued to smoke. But it also depends on how many pack cigarettes on average that you have smoked per year. For example, my current risk is 2% for the next year. But my lifetime risk is 5%. My current risk is 70% lower than if I had continued to smoke. But it is not lower overall.

1 Like

It certainly hasnā€™t been easy the 40,000 times Iā€™ve done it.

3 Likes

Interesting theory. I quit about 5 years ago or so.

Rush most have been 2 pack a day smoker sitting behind microphone lighting one cig after another.

But I think after he quit cigarettes, he smoked cigars. My guess is that he still took in the cigar smoke.

I donā€™t know that he smoked cigarettes. He may have at some point in his life, but I believe he enjoyed cigars.

That was the thing- I only ever really tried to quit twice. The first one didnt take, so I just didnā€™t try again for a decade.

Iā€™ve been guilty of that. Didnā€™t see the point in smoking it unless I inhaled.

Yes this is what Iā€™ve read and understand. I think those numbers if my memory serves me that after 7 yours your risk lowers 70 percentā€¦but still 30 higher if you never smokes. Or something to that effect.

Oh yeah. they say once you quit and then start up again you actually increase your chances. But again thatā€™ what Iā€™ve heard but doesnā€™t make it true.

Oddly enough, to the consternation of my wife and friends, I listen to Rush while driving . . . just to know what the enemy was thinking. But he had a phrase . . . something to the effect of ā€œmy formerly nicotine stained fingers.ā€ I am I the only one who really listens to Rush. And Iā€™m practically a communist!

This is terrible. I really do hope Rush can overcome this. My best friend recently lost their mother to lung cancer; she never smoked.

Thanks, I had also missed the preceding post from you which put the one I quoted in better context.

I believe they recommend screenings for 15 years after quitting and then the chances are reduced enough that the additional screenings are no longer necessary.

Yeah, and Iā€™m talking about 70+ years old. People who didnā€™t get cancer and thought at 70 it be a good time to quit. Kind of like changing transmission fluid in a 200,000 mile vehicle for the first time.

Formerly nicotine fingers. Pictures Iā€™ve seen during his early radio years he always had a cig between em.

No, I was told the same thing by someone whose lung cancer was caught early and he was relaying this to me from his doctor.

A lot of my coworkers smoke. On occasion, Iā€™ve flicked cigarettes out of their hands or poked holes in them. It makes me a pest, but I donā€™t want to see any of them develop lung cancer.

Yes. This is true about screenings. I believe that it is related to 2 observations. (1) There are not many follow up studies after 15 years, and (2) insurance just doesnā€™t pay for screenings after 15 years. I had an extended discussion about this with my doctor, who also was my former student in the 8th grade.

Yeah, he does say that often before reading an article. Iā€™d forgotten. I listened more about 5 years ago. I just caught him for about 30 minutes today at lunch. It wasnā€™t until Hannity came on that I found out about his cancer.

Horrible newsā€¦and I canā€™t imagine what not only Rush, but his family are feeling as well. Cancer sucks. :frowning: