Rush Limbaugh diagnosed with lung cancer

99, wow! God bless your grandfather!

Yeah I think when my dad turned 80 his doc recommended no more colonoscopies (done every 10 years if normal). I’m amazed when, in billing, doctors have ordered & patients have consented to tests like paps—in their 80’s and even 90’s.

Like the colonoscopy, it’s something of an invasive test, and, really, in the 80’s and beyond, should anyone want to go forward with everything from pelvic radiation to hysterectomy?

Seems treatment at that stage of life would do more harm than good as natural causes is more of a possibility in the 80s than, say, a middle aged woman in the Forties through sixties.

Both my dad and my maternal grandmother passed away due to lung cancer. Nasty disease. Hate to see anyone go through this.

christ…

Mom died of pancreatic cancer that has metastasized from her lung. Smoked for 35 years, it was inevitable. Lung Cancer sucks. Don’t agree with pretty much anything Rush ever says but as a human I hope he makes a full recovery.

Terrible news. Praying for healing and a full recovery. Cancer really sucks. I lost my father at age 47 to liver cancer. He was a mechanic and washed his hands with break cleaner for 20 years along with other unhealthy practices that come with the trade. I hope Rush is able to overcome this awful disease.

1 Like

This is horrible news. I wish him the best. If anyone can beat it, Rush can.

He’s still going, about halfway through his 101st year on earth.

Things have gotten tough, though.

God be with him.
I wish him the best.

My worst fear is lung cancer. I smoked from 18 to 48. Hope Mr. Limbaugh well.

Thoughts and prayers.

1 Like

For me, 15 to 34.

I’m with you. Lung cancer is my biggest fear as well.

I don’t agree with Mr. Limbaugh on anything. But I hope for his good health as hard as an atheist can.

I researched this a bit. It is a misnomer that your lung cancer risk decreases after you quit smoking. It just goes down compared to if you have continued smoking. Your risk actually continues to increase after quitting.

I’ve read that your risk decreases to the level of non-smokers 7-10 years after you’ve quit.

I don’t know if that’s true, but I’ve chosen to believe it.

1 Like

Not true, but that is what is you will find on a superficial internet search. Your lungs recover for sure, but not your cancer risk. You have to look a little deeper.

I have made a decision not to.

I have chosen to believe what I need to believe.

I’m also in denial. At 67, I’m almost 20 years since quitting. Paul Newman died of lung cancer, maybe 30 years or so after quitting.

Congratulations. I mean it.

It’s been 12 months, 3 weeks and 6 days since I quit smoking.

To be entirely honest, I have smoked 6 cigarettes during that time - one on the day I proposed, one on the day I got married, one at my brother’s wedding, and three the night of another friend’s wedding.

2 Likes

I’ve often wondered if the risk goes up after quitting for long term smokers. Not that I’d ever advocate continuing smoking to avoid increased risk factors, that would be asinine. But I’ve wondered if the fast regenerating cells affected by years and years of destruction from a life of smoking compensate by regenerating faster and become cancerous as a result.

1 Like

I chewed nicorette for like 10 years. They say quitting smoking is more difficult than getting off heroin. Good on you. Keep up the good work. You actually do reduce your risk for heart disease. [quote=“TheDoctorIsIn, post:39, topic:226455, full:true”]

Congratulations. I mean it.

It’s been 12 months, 3 weeks and 6 days since I quit smoking.
[/quote]

Great. Your life will improve in so many ways. Keep up the good work!

Huh? This needs some elaboration.

Quitting smoking certainly reduces cancer risk.