Roe V. Wade Overturned?

Tommy,
And that is why Roberts as the Chief Justice won’t go for it. He is more moderate than most. He’s neither a conservative nor is he a liberal. He goes where the letter of the law takes him most times. He pisses of Conservatives plenty with his votes on things. I just don’t see it happening.

In 2003 he said this:
SEN. SPECTER [as read into the record by Sen. Feinstein]: “Judge Roberts, in your confirmation hearing for the circuit court you testified: ‘Roe is the settled law of the land.’ Do you mean settled for you, settled only for your capacity as a circuit judge, or settled beyond that?”
ROBERTS: “Well, beyond that. It’s settled as a precedent of the court, entitled to respect under principles of stare decisis. And those principles, applied in the Casey case, explain when cases should be revisited and when they should not. And it is settled as a precedent of the court, yes.“

SPECTER: ”You went on to say then, ‘It’s a little more than settled. It was reaffirmed in the face of a challenge that it should be overruled in the Casey decision, so it has added precedental value.’“

ROBERTS: ”I think the initial question for the judge confronting an issue in this area, you don’t go straight to the Roe decision. You begin with Casey, which modified the Roe framework and reaffirmed its central holding.“

http://www.ontheissues.org/Court/John_Roberts_Abortion.htm

comprise.

late term abortion deemed murder. Mothers are currently charged with murder when then kill children just minutes, days, or months older. So no need to bring out that moral conundrum and present it as something new.

earlier than late term abortion… left up to states. Punishments for women and abortionistists to include banishment from “dry” states. Let the progressive liberal states take em.

Roberts would only be joining the minority. Decisions could still easily go 5-4 if Roberts joins the far left minority.

Should outlaw it completely. Murder shouldn’t be a state’s rights issue.

1 Like

What is unfettered abortion?

Do you think there is a state now, where a woman 7+ months pregnant with a healthy baby, can get an abortion, legally?

Murder isn’t a state’s right’s issue, but abortion - prior to the third month, is not murder.

I can see it happening in California. I can also see them celebrating it.

I was listening to a former judge who is a scholar on the SCOTUS. He said that he fully expects Roberts to become more of a swing judge if another staunch conservative is put on the bench. However I agree with those that say the only way Trump gets a new judge confirmed is if he picks a more moderate candidate.

Latest research proves at conception the child is not a body part, it has the DNA of both parents. The Womb protects the child from being rejected as a foreign life form by the mothers body.

The logic of abortion has been completely invalidated.

1 Like

Only if the liberal branch of the Repubs on the Senate link arms with democrats.

Making abortion illegal won’t end abortions, it will only drive them underground.

If Conservatives really wanted to end abortions they would support fact based sex ed and would be in favor of freely available contraception.

They would support child health and nutrition programs.

They would support prenatal care for expectant mothers of modest means.

They would care about the born as much as they care about the unborn.

5 Likes

Oh swiss cheese. Cry me a freakin river. I bet right wingers contribute far more to such issues than left wingers, who prefer to rob all the people to further their warped ideals.

I realize outlawing abortions won’t happen, at best it will become a state’s rights issue.

But its consistent with my religious beliefs I call it murder.

Sex ed, if you look at the history, only made the problem worse. Who would have thought teaching teenagers about sex, might result in them trying it out for themselves.

Who would have thunk it?

Didn’t notice your last line till I replied.

Christians have offered to take unwanted children off the hands of women who want to abort them.

That is a solution.

You do realize that teen pregnancy rates are pretty much at an all time low right? Maybe not so much in the abstinence only school districts.

Still way higher than the just before sex ed began.

We don’t need abortion, we need adoption. And Christians have very big hearts and would love to invite into their homes any unwanted babies. Wouldn’t cost the government a dime.

On what are you basing this claim that pregnancy rates are worse than before sex ed? And do all these big hearted Christians just want new children? Those unadopted older ones are no good?

There is a part of me - even as a liberal- that would like to see abortion decisions return to States. But I realize it is a civil rights issue. Poor women from Red States would experience the brunt of the suffering- turning to coat hanger abortions and having to scramble (if they have the means) to find the money to drive to blue states to terminate a pregnancy.

It would put the Supreme Court in a hell of a bind though if they really took up abortion with a new Conservative dominated bench.

Trump should do for adoption what he did for Business, deregulate. Its almost impossible to adopt US children. My brother adopted his kids from South America and China.

1 Like

Its harder to adopt grownups, anything over 14 is virtually a grown up. But it does happen.