Republican senator reveals she was raped while in the military

Freshman Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) revealed Wednesday during a hearing she had been raped while in the military. She made her comments during a hearing by the Senate Armed Service committee investigating sexual assault in the military. “So like you, I am also a military sexual assault survivor,” she said. “We’ve come a long way to stop military sexual assault but we have a long way to go.” Her comments brought support from both sides of the aisle, including from Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Democratic senators Tammy Duckworth and Kristen Gillibrand.

insanely brave of her.

Very brave. I cannot imagine sharing that with the world.

I read that and thought…I’m ashamed but was confident it was happening. Years ago, as the push came to mix women and men together in combat, I stated that I’m against the idea and her revelation was the reason why. She’s NOT the only one, again…IMO.

No mention of male rape?

Was McSally raped in a combat zone?

I can’t say but she said, the system designed to assist her was nothing more than another form of being raped again.

I’m not sure what your argument is then, when you comment on mixing women and men together in combat.

Yeah…it’s so confusing.

Are you opposed to a serious conversation?

4 Likes

So because men cannot control their worse impulses woman shouldn’t be in the military?

4 Likes

I did some Google-fu and read up a bit more. Currently there’s nothing out there that outlines the circumstances surrounding McSally’s rape, only that the perp was a superior officer and that she didn’t report it because she didn’t trust the military system and its leadership to do the right thing.

I for one am glad that she does not have to put up with conservative people accusing her of lying given she has no proof and didn’t report it at the time.

Thank goodness some seem to have evolved, but if for a moment.

1 Like

Not mixed in, yes.

In that case I would suggest you avoid the comments section of the online FOX article.

For the internet is dark, and full of terrors.

It is NOT a function of women in combat. The problem is military culture, which is either changed from above or allowed to persist on its own. If the culture will not protect a woman in our own armed forces, it will not protect civilians in a war zone.

What is it about military culture that fosters this (both rape, and the failure to investigate/prosecute it)? Is it unique to the military, or is this a wider social phenomenon that’s amplified in a military setting?

Not a trick question, I’m genuinely curious as to your opinion.

A woman got raped at a party. Ban women from parties.
A woman got raped at college. Ban women from college.
A woman got raped…

6 Likes

Wait… the military is the one infallible part of our government!

Why are they raping everything?

As long as Lindsey Graham can retain some sanity, I’ll be relieved.