Republican Leadership was negligent during Ketanji Brown Jackson hearings

Having followed the Ketanji Brown Jackson Supreme Court nominee hearings, I find it not only astounding that one of the most important lines of questioning was suspiciously absent when the Republican Leadership questioned Ketanji Brown Jackson, but it was also nowhere to be found in our popular media’s discussions on the topic. That question is, how does one legitimately determine when an act violates a provision of our federal Constitution, or its constitutionally delegated powers?

In 1968 at a lecture at Columbia University the notable U.S. Supreme Court Justice, Hugo L. Black, emphatically pointed out: “The public welfare demands that constitutional cases must be decided according to the terms of the Constitution itself, and not according to judges’ views of fairness, reasonableness, or justice.”

So, how does one who is sincerely determined to be obedient to “this Constitution”, which every Supreme Court Justices takes an oath to do, determine when an act violates a provision of our federal Constitution, or goes beyond delegated constitutional limits? Is it not reasonable that every Supreme Court nominee ought to expound upon these questions and give their assurance to enforce what the people have willingly agreed to when adopting the Constitution, rather than what they believe it ought to mean?

Having been dedicated to answering these very questions for over forty years I must say, Thomas Jefferson was spot on when he addressed this very subject and wrote: “On every question of construction [of the Constitution], carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.”–Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823, The Complete Jefferson, p. 322.

Indeed, those who reject abiding by the text of our Constitution, and the intentions and beliefs under which it was agreed to as documented from historical records [our Constitution’s framing and ratification debates which give context to its text], wish to remove the anchor and rudder of our constitutional system so they may then be free to “interpret” the Constitution to mean whatever they wish it to mean.

So, why is it that our Republican Party Leadership failed in its duty to pursue this line of questioning during the Ketanji Brown Jackson hearings, and was not even pursued, to the best of my knowledge, by our popular media? Keep in mind the wise observation of Chancellor James Kent, in his Commentaries on American Law:

"The Constitution is the act of the people, speaking in their original character, and defining the permanent conditions of the social alliance; and there can be no doubt on the point with us, that every act of the legislative power contrary to the true intent and meaning of the Constitution, is absolutely null and void.”

Finally, and in the words of Justice Story, “If the Constitution was ratified under the belief, sedulously propagated on all sides that such protection was afforded, would it not now be a fraud upon the whole people to give a different construction to its powers?”

JWK

The whole aim of construction, as applied to a provision of the Constitution, is to discover the meaning, to ascertain and give effect to the intent of its framers and the people who adopted it. _____ HOME BLDG. & LOAN ASSOCIATION v. BLAISDELL, 290 U.S. 398 (1934)

1 Like

When was the last confirmation hearing where these questions were brought to bear?

2 Likes

Are you ■■■■■■■ serious??? You really think any Senator is going to offer a serious question at a nomination clown show.

:rofl:

It is far more important to determine the definition of female.

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

A better idea is just to abolish these nomination clown shows altogether.

4 Likes

You’re right. That is asking too much of our corrupted federal government.

You mean take away the ability to virtue signal for a guy or a squad to pump up their score with the base? How dare you sir?!?!

:smile:

17th Amendment

1 Like

Bork?

No idea tbh. I can’t imagine it was seriously asked recently.

“Getting Borked” is firmly fixed in Consevative mythology. And while it is true that he was excoriated in the press, his Senate hearings were cordial. The problem (for Bork) was that he answered questions and told the Truth. And dude was very right wing. My personal favorite Borkism was when he called the 9th ammendment an ink blot.

I have actually heard his hearing described as a master law seminar. Dude was very smart, but considered hostile to individual rights and the rulings that protect them.

Unfortunately I must agree with your clown show description with respect to the Senate Republican Leadership . . . just another example of how corrupt the Republican Party Leadership has become and confirms it has joined hands with the notoriously evil Democrat Party Leadership.

JWK

Why have a written constitution approved by the people if those who it is designed to limit and control are free to make it mean whatever they wish it to mean?

I have no idea what you are alluding to or how it advanced the subject of the thread.

JWK

What makes a Supreme Court opinion legitimate is when it is in harmony with the text of our Constitution and its documented legislative intent which gives context to its text.

Here you go. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, McConnell pretty much proved that modern day hearings for SC Justices have nothing to do with “advice and consent” and everything to do with a dog and pony show with the stunt he pulled with Garland and Barrett.

1 Like

Thanks in advance for what?

I still have no idea how your question advances the subject of the thread, or why you asked it.

JWK

“We often give enemies the means of our own destruction.” – Aesop.

The dogma lives deep within her.

2 Likes

I wonder why Susan Collins never asked Jackson how does one who is sincerely determined to be obedient to “this Constitution”, which every Supreme Court Justices takes an oath to do, determine when an act violates a provision of our federal Constitution, or goes beyond delegated constitutional limits?

I guess Susan Collins is more concerned with politics rather than preserving and protecting our written Constitution.

JWK

Why have a written constitution approved by the people if those who it is designed to limit and control are free to make it mean whatever they wish it to mean?

You accused the Republican leadership of not doing something. I asked when the last time it was actually done. I can say this again.

This is the question. When was the last that questioned was asked of a nominee

What I actually stated was: "Republican Leadership was negligent during Ketanji Brown Jackson hearings" I also identified the negligence as a failure to ask Ketanji Brown Jackson how does one legitimately determine when an act violates a provision of our federal Constitution, or its constitutionally delegated powers?

Your above response and question does not address what I wrote, and I am uninterested in your deflection.

JWK