Republican governor blasts Trump over COVID-19 response

Governor Larry Hogan (R-Maryland) ripped Donald Trump over his response, or lack thereof, to the COVID-19 pandemic. Further proof that even Republicans are starting to distqance themselves from the President.

Some excerpts of Hogan’s criticism -

I’d watched as the president downplayed the outbreak’s severity and as the White House failed to issue public warnings, draw up a 50-state strategy, or dispatch medical gear or lifesaving ventilators from the national stockpile to American hospitals. Eventually, it was clear that waiting around for the president to run the nation’s response was hopeless; if we delayed any longer, we’d be condemning more of our citizens to suffering and death.

“We have it totally under control,” Trump responded unhesitatingly. “It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.” And off the president went for the next eight weeks. The rest of January and February were peppered with cheerful or sarcastic comments and tweets, minimizing the outbreak’s severity and the need for Americans to do much of anything.

“So many nationwide actions could have been taken in those early days but weren’t. While other countries were racing ahead with well-coordinated testing regimes, the Trump administration bungled the effort.

Meanwhile, instead of listening to his own public health experts, the president was talking and tweeting like a man more concerned about boosting the stock market or his reelection plans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/07/16/larry-hogan-trump-coronavirus/?arc404=true

These politicans have careers to protect. As it becomes increasingly evident that aligning themselves with Trump jeopardizes rather than safeguards those careers, they will speak out more often and more critically.

1 Like

I’m sure Trump is going to take his concerns to heart, like a decent leader, and not do everything in his power to get his idiot minions sending this guy death threats.

I remember Dan Crenshaw was on Bill Maher and when confronted with these quotes from Trump, he said something along the lines - so you want me to criticize the President for being overly optimistic ?

Voted for Governor Hogan twice, plus he’s a Prince George’s County product(my home county).
Anyway, there are some things I definitely disagree with him on, like the education budget and his stance on the lawsuit HBCU’s(schools both me and the wife attended) won here in MD. However, I think he’s done a decent job in the COVID-19 response. There are some things I wish he could have done better, but at least he’s not drinking Trumps kool-aid like Kemp, DeSantis and others by putting lives in danger.

In regards to Trump, Gov. Hogan has been anti-Trump from the jump and one of the few maybe only GOP governors in the United States who has not bent the knee for Trump’s bitch ass.

2 Likes

Mass governor Charlie Baker has been a good governor and not a trump ass kisser…

Except for the true believers like Nunes, they are all definitely trying to figure out how to avoid the Vichy trials if Trump loses.

4 Likes

“I never liked him, BUT [insert weak defense here].”

Maryland has over 76,000 cases and 3200 deaths in a state of 6 million compared to

Florida 230,000 cases and 4800 deaths in a state of 21 million or

Georgia 135,000 cases and 3100 deaths in a state of 10.6 million.

Which others do you want to discuss?.

So it’s left up to him to decide how to handle his state and he finds that problematic? Then he’s the problem and I hope his voters vote him out and give him the peace he desires. Obviously, he wasn’t cut out to deal with serious problems? .

So, it’s not only Dem state reps who are trying to blame on Trump the failure of the local strategies they have been constitutionally responsible to organise. Why am I not surprised?

1 Like

All of them.

If everyone and their mothers are saying that you are doing a poor work…does that mean you are doing a great work? :joy:

1 Like

Have you seen the number of incumbents who are choosing not to run for re-election this year because they don’t want to be tied to the trainwreck their party has become? Turns out principles do come before party for some of them at least.

1 Like

When you’re actually held accountable by numbers and facts, it’s then impossible to deny your failure so…what does your weak ass do? You point your finger and attempt to blame someone else.

1 Like

I agree. The US is doing horribly and it is impossible to deny our failure. I also agree weak ass Trump should stop pointing his finger blaming everyone else. It is nice we agree on this.

6 Likes

President Trump was very wise to hand it over to each governor. If you want to point your finger at a failure, IMO how Governor Cuomo handled New York, is the number one reason COVID spread throughout the rest of the country. Last week he and the NJ Governor instituted a ban coming into their states. That should have been done at the get/go…but for leaving their state. What happened in NY nursing homes due to not being prepared, is the same as exposing the country but on a much larger scale.

1 Like

The President was wise to take no responsibility for a national crisis.

That allows him to take no blame for his own failure and gives him just enough cover for maybe enough people to shift the blame away From him when no other President ever would be able to ignore a problem of this magnitude and have his supporters not care.

4 Likes

In running an institution with many departments, one of the most foolish things a person can do, is attempt to micro-manage one from the top. If you have to, you have the wrong person in charge of that department. I hope this isn’t over your head and you perfectly understand this truth? Every state is a department of the whole, therefore, it was very wise of the President to not attempt to micro-manage but to allow each Governor to run their own state accordingly, with the federal government providing assistance.

1 Like

I am agreeing with you.

Taking no responsibility for a national crises and the failure to meet the challenge and shifting the blame to others is brilliant.

Our country’s response has been very very very bad. Among the worst in developed nations.

Being able to blame others for that failure is an asset, not a liability

5 Likes