Reperations questions

Yes, because the Tuskegee descendants had residual physical effects (diagnosed illness) directly as a result of what was done to their ancestors. And rightly so they received compensation for it.

So.,ā€¦now weā€™ve found out who needs to be paying all the taxes?

You care about residual physical affects of that experimentā€¦ what about economics and physical affect of slavery?

Isnā€™t this thread about reparations for slavery? What the hell are you talking about?

If judging by the responses in this thread from consā€¦ I hope they do. Expose cons further.

The nonsense of reparations for slavery for people who were never slaves and only know about it from books or TV.

I am closer to the affects from slavery than you areā€¦ itā€™s like cons believe that once the fences were open in 1865ā€¦ all things immediately got betterā€¦

Once the signs above the ā€œwhites onlyā€ fountains were torn down in 1965ā€¦ all things immediately got better over nightā€¦

3 Likes

Did their treatment as slaves even violate the laws that existed? No. They had no claim even if they could have.

Whatever it was, it violates the principal of there being no ex post facto laws to decide they should have been paid now because we have these employment laws that they didnā€™t have.

Are you suggesting that we canā€™t apply 2019 morality standards to 1865 morality standards?

Even if monetary payment is a non starterā€¦ I havenā€™t seen any con here suggest that slavery was an atrocity and we should have done something for repayment.

Thereā€™s is a great PBS show call ā€œFinding your rootsā€. Last night one of the people going over their ancestry was Charlayne Hunter-Gault

She finds out sheā€™s related to the master and the slaves. So, one of her ancestors oppressed another of her ancestors.

In fact if you watch the show, they do a lot of American Blacks and many of them are related to the master and the slaves of the plantation their family came from. Itā€™s one of the reason so many slaves took on the names of their plantation masters.

So, do they pay reparation to themselves?

Last nightā€™s show was particularly interesting because one of his American Black guests ( I forgot the name) was related to people on the last slave ship to reach the south. His remark was something like " I feel confused, angry and lucky at the same time"ā€¦

Also should Islam give reparations to Europeans and Blacks for a 1500 years of perpetuating the slave trade in Africans and Europeans?

as soon as they hand out checks for being Black, Iā€™m Black tooā€¦

So a million dollar payout will make everything immediately better?

Hmm. Point me to where I said that it would?

Where has anyone said reparations are just for being black?

What other criteria is thereā€¦ Iā€™ll self identify with that too. And whoā€™s going to check anyway

She was a descendant of slaves. The fact that the slave owner raped his property doesnā€™t make her ancestors any less of a slave.

Did this womanā€™s slave ancestors get any inheritance from their slave owner? You know for being a blood relative?

Being a slave descendantā€¦ clearly you havenā€™t even attempted to read the thread.

It has a lot to due with culture and where you are at.

I had to learn how to navigate the racial minefield early. I was raised by whites; from a cultural standpoint I canā€™t relate to the black community as much as I would like to because I havenā€™t really experienced what itā€™s like to be black in the Western world outside of a few exceptions.

I just try to be understanding of peopleā€™s viewpoints.

But sheā€™s also related to the rapistā€¦ Why is she rewarded for being related to slaves and not be punished for being related to a rapists?

I have no slave holding ancestors, so sheā€™s more guilty than I amā€¦