Remember when militia groups and white nationalists were the greatest threat?

… trained in Canada. :wink:

That thinking would make 9/11 a domestic terrorist operation. They all came here to board planes.

It looks like Ukrainian officials are walking back earlier claims that the Ukrainian soldiers on Snake Island died at the hands of Russian forces:

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy had announced that “all border guards died heroically but did not give up,” adding that he would posthumously award all the servicemen the Hero of Ukraine distinction.

But the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine has since posted a statement on Facebook that "we [have a] strong belief that all Ukrainian defenders of Zmiinyi (Snake) Island may be alive.

“After receiving information about their possible location, the [border guard service], together with the Armed Forces of Ukraine, are conducting work on identifying our soldiers,” the statement continued.

https://www.newsmax.com/headline/ukrainian-soldiers-snake-island-russia/2022/02/27/id/1058760/

the Island was bombarded by a warship and Russia never confirmed they took POWs.
what do you expect them to think?

The narrative has been that all the defenders died after refusing to surrender.

Russian sources reported that they captured the Ukrainians, and Ukrainian officials appear to be admitting that the troops are still alive.

The original story appears to be an urban legend at this point.

do people often survive a full bombardment form a warship ?
not really a jump in logic if the last time you heard from people they were being bombarded from a warship, that they might be dead.

Is there any evidence that bombardment actually occurred? A likely explanation is that the story is just propaganda.

Fog of war means there are often confusing reports in combat situations. In addition, governments are more than happy to create fictional accounts for propaganda purposes, especially during wartime.

My guess is that the vast majority of the news reports from Ukraine are false, either intentionally or unintentionally.

well you get your information from Russia sources, so I’m sure you believe them.

Well then.

The people on Snake island survived.

I must now reassess everything and advocate for Russian media

1 Like

it really doesn’t matter if they even existed, their story created moral in fighting forces.

No, we should view all news reports with skepticism.

If the reports from the Ukrainian government agree with those from Russia, then the report is probably true.

Otherwise the reports are most likely false, especially if the reports neatly fit into a propaganda narrative for either side.

1 Like

well according the Russian Media only one Russian solider has died.
I’m pretty sure that is false.

why should I trust anything Russia media says, they don’t even call this an invasion its a “peacekeeping” mission to save Ukraine from their Nazi government.

we gotta trust the Russian Media who in the last four days.

Threaten to nuke North American and Europe.
Threaten to invade Finland.
Threaten to bomb Poland.
Threaten to invade Sweden.
Threaten to start world war three.

seem honest bunch.

Ukraine claims that 4500 Russians soldier have been killed. Russia has not announced any figures from what I can see.

A safe assumption is that the 4500 figure is grossly inflated.

Have you even looked at the Russian media?

A reasonable starting point is that state media are going to accurately report their own government’s official announcements. I expect that CBC will accurately report official pronouncements from Ottawa, and Tass will accurately report official pronouncements from Moscow.

Ya they showed a nice video of all the places in EU/NA they could nuke tonight…

top tier reportin.

We would you prefer that the first warning be mushroom clouds over Toronto and New York?

If the Russian government is threatening nuclear war, I want to hear about it.

Yes, one could say that. They were all here long enough to establish residency in the cities where they lived.

Urban legend or just bad information?

You should take all such reports from both sides with a grain of salt.