Red Flag Laws - What Could Go Wrong?

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/state-wants-to-expand-red-flag-law-let-family-members-doctors-and-nurses-petition-to-remove-guns/?fbclid=IwAR3-iRm__s7fGhI0xdfOzYrTJmGBq9UVagpMubFv0oDAW99tmUT_YiUrvhs

Connecticut prides itself on being called “The Constitution State.” It is also one of the leading anti-gun states in the country. Even before the unspeakable tragedy at Sandy Hook, Connecticut was the first state in the nation to implement a so-called “red flag “law, passing it in 1999.

Not happy with that distinction, Connecticut legislators want to double down on the law, having proposed a bill that would broaden who would be able to request the removal of guns from people deemed to be a danger to themselves or others.t CT calls itself the “Constitution State”

3 Likes

Is there public support for this new law?

What difference does that make?

1 Like

The Police already have to much power.

I have no problem with this if…the individual making the accusation can be severely penalized for making a false one on purpose or…a professional that has a historical pattern of being wrong? Those being allowed this privilege must also have their skin in the game too or…I’m totally against it?

1 Like

Sounds like just the kind of law Trump would support.

1 Like

This is supposed to be a republic. Not a mob run democracy.

2 Likes

If it’s a felony with a mandatory sentence for making a false claim, including losing a professional license if the person making the claim has one, go for it.

And if it is a false claim, the person doesn’t have to hire an attorney or go through the legal system to have their firearms returned. Also they can file a civil suit against the person who made the false claim.

Well. This would be an update to an existing law. If there is public support for the current iteration you could surmise the people of Connecticut would be ok with these changes.

What difference does that make? The right doesn’t belong to “the people of Connecticut”. It belongs to each person in Connecticut.

Republic.

One area of concern is the fact that there is no requirement that law enforcement conduct any type of investigation before relatives or medical personnel make a court complaint seeking gun seizures while prosecutors and police are required to do so

What could possibly go wrong?

Works for me for the first part at least. Not sure what you are saying about the “professional” part………

If a professional makes a false claim, they lose their professional license. Doctors, nurses…

Yup, it they do it knowingly nail their asses to the wall

On guns? Never happen.

Here’s my major beef with these changes:

One area of concern is the fact that there is no requirement that law enforcement conduct any type of investigation before relatives or medical personnel make a court complaint seeking gun seizures while prosecutors and police are required to do so

I’m sure it has happened many times already.

:rofl: no way in hell.

I have never heard of a doctor or nurse losing a license because of firearms.

1 Like

I thought you meant the false claim part but you were talking about the losing license part right?