Record tax haul and a surplus last month

We don’t know if it will continue but this article claims rising wages gave the fed govt a record tax haul and a budget surplus last month. Considering we are well into the tax cuts this must come a surprise to many.

"The federal government took in a record tax haul in April en route to its biggest-ever monthly budget surplus, the Congressional Budget Office said, as a surging economy left Americans with more money in their paychecks — and this more to pay to Uncle Sam.

All told the government collected $515 billion and spent $297 billion, for a total monthly surplus of $218 billion. That swamped the previous monthly record of $190 billion, set in 2001.

CBO analysts were surprised by the surplus, which was some $40 billion more than they’d guessed at less than a month ago."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/7/cbo-says-april-was-best-month-history-us-budget/

Little trip down memory lane.

http://forums.hannity.com/showthread.php?2471694-We-may-be-witness-largest-economic-expansion

Default We may be witness largest economic expansion

That many of you will haven't seen since Reagan.

Sit back and enjoy the ride....specially if things play out as I predict they should.

LOL I remember saying this before Trump was elected when libs were predicting doom and gloom and of course liberal idiot mocked me.

So we will see who has last laugh. So far the market is seeing what I've seen months ago.

Oh and this is even with lower tax rate is it not?

Trump Tax cuts were not effective until tax year 2018.

These are for collections of the 2017 tax year.

Jeez do I have to spell it out for you

Alan

Yes you do. I’m little slow today.

“Those payments were mostly related to economic activity in 2017 and may reflect stronger-than-expected income growth in that year,” the analysts said in their monthly budget review. “Part of the strength in receipts also may reflect larger-than-anticipated payments for economic activity in 2018. The reasons for the added revenues will be better

Welk, the CBO is not often wrong (seriously),
but when they are it is because they have erred on the side of Democrats (seriously.)

…record tax haul in April…of 2018.

The CBO is always wrong. Usually by an order of 10 for major legislation like Obama care

They don’t know. That’s why they put a big fat “May” ( as in maybe) in there,

Could that be corporations bringing their trillions back home?

This article is a year old.

Darn, now I have to delete it…

April 2018 is when 2017 taxes were due. The effect of trumps tax cut won’t show up til April 2019

Obama tax policy was damn good.

Not all the taxes are from last year. April is 4 months in…Don’t forget all the refunds too.

Why would they do that?

Seems to me thebo nly point of doing that would be to invest them here or distribute them here.

What taxes do you pay monthly?

You have Apple planing on bringing hundreds of billions of dollars back home, something like 250/350 billions of dollars.

1 Like

Most people who owe don’t pay until the last possible day. I think a lot of people who expect refunds file as early as possible.

What were the numbers for February and March? Pretty sure those were deficit months.