Record cold in the Midwest

Quickly followed by some tangential “evidence” from “good” scientists that have data that might support him.

1 Like

There is nothing new or unusual about that. It only seems like it since the Media discovered the term “Polar Vortex.”

No it can’t. The Polar Vortex has been around as long as the Arctic has been cold.

Because its cold up there. Lots of people go south for the winter.

:roll_eyes:

Nobody said there was anything unusual about it.

We were simply pointing out the fallacious “it’s really cold in one local spot on earth, therefore no global warming!”

I just can’t wame up to the idea of ignoring fallacious ideas, you know.

To me, it means that they don’t know what they are talking about and are parroting the politically correct position.

Nonsense. There is no natural rule that says that the polar vortex should stay in a regular pattern. It moves around just like the jet stream does (it is, in fact, a jet stream.) You have fallen for the media hype.

Yes and what happen when you mix warm and with cold air?

Just give it up. You have no idea what you are talking about.

I told a grade 7 science class I know what happen when you mix warm air into a stream of cold air.

Perhaps, perhaps not, but apparently she may understand it better than you do. Your idea as to the normal behavior of the polar vortex is founded in myth.

The Polar Vortex is a stream of cold air that circles the Arctic, as warm air is introduced that cold air is pushed south.

Well of course it does to you.

I wouldn’t say hoax … more like misunderstanding because of a lack of knowledge.

Yes.

The only areas of the Arctic that are open water this time of year are in the far North Atlantic and Bristol Bay. Neither of those areas are ever iced over until late in the freezing season even in a high ice coverage year.

The person I responded to in that post did.

The moisture in the warm air precipitates.

Which has what to do with the polar vortex?

Nothing weird about this:
Temperatures in the Midwest will rapidly rebound by this weekend with some cities experiencing highs that are 60-to-70 degrees warmer than their subzero lows Wednesday and Thursday morning.

Chicago, for example, could have a temperature rise of more than 65 degrees from Thursday morning to Saturday afternoon. That would be the largest temperature rise over 72-hour period on record in the Windy City, according to the Iowa Environmental Mesonet.

Good for you. But probably bad for the class. It would be better to have someone knowledgeable talk to them about the science behind weather.