Reconciling Genesis origin story with Science

Can you create light before you create the stars?

Interesting question. Did the Big Bang create light? I don’t know but it seems feasible and it would have occurred before the creation of stars.

1 Like

In this we agree.

Cosmic Microwave Background

My brother, the electrician, explained it to me. I won’t remember, the many spheres of light he could name. There is the whole electromagnetic spectrum. Radiation energy that travels and spaces out as it goes. Speed of light, light years.

1 Like

Impossible.

There are no talking serpents or androgynous Adam’s who can spit out their female side.

You do know that Yahweh is an androgynous god. Right?

Regards
DL

He is God. The great I AM.

The problem is that there are many people who do take the Bible literally.

And when you show them the errors in the Bible, they just ignore it.

For example the light of the sun and the moon.

But the moon is not a light. Light is reflected from it.

That’s just one example.

It’s not visible light.

A dome covers one part of something, in this case a finite part of the earth.

Not the same as an atmosphere or “sphere” which covers the whole earth.

Neither is gamma radiation, and yet the universe was filled with that before stars as well. lol

Literalists think that the Earth was created in 6 days of 24 hours each.

There is a verse in the Bible that says that a day is like a thousand years to God.

But even having the earth created in 6,000 years doesn’t account for the dinosaurs.

Which have been scientifically proven to have been on earth for millions of years, not just 6,000.

That’s really where Genesis falls down.

Alex, why is that a a problem?

1 Like

So we’ve established there was no visible light until God decided to make the sun?

Which was on the fourth day.

Frankly this is the only part of the first few stories that give the Bible an air of verisimiltude, leading to the thouht that bits of the Bible might be true.

Because logically one would expect that the sun and the stars would be created on the very first day… by getting things turned around, people could wonder if it might be true simply because it makes no sense.

No, we’ve established that there was indeed light before the stars, regardless of any nitpicking to visible or not. I mean, not that there wasn’t visible light either. lol

It’s not a “problem” - it’s just a conundrum to me.

My main interest in religion - all religions - (and indeed in other topics such as politics. ) is how and why people believe what they believe.

I don’t understand how literalists can claim the Bible is the inerrant word of God, but when you list all the errors in the Bible, they just wave them aside as if they don’t matter. Those errors certainly aren’t a problem to literalists. ; )

And that interests me. You’d think it would be.

If I could find a shrug emoticon, I’d use it.

I accept your surrender.

:man_shrugging:

Total indifference is not surrender.

May I ask where you found that emoticon? On which row of the dozens of rows I see when I pull up the choices?

It’s OK, I know it must’ve been hard to argue that the light permeating the entirety of the physical cosmos wasn’t really there, because visible human spectrum. :wink:

:man_shrugging: <— type a colon, then “man_shrugging:” but once you type the : a list of emoticons will be displayed.