Recession? Who says?

Cuz it’s more bad news.

I don’t have my own definition. But I can’t find anything that says the only criteria for a recession is that there is 2 months of negative GDP.

I’m gonna need about tree fiddy.

1 Like

Remember when the buck stopped with him before the buck stopped with him?

1 Like

You don’t have an alternative?

I do not

It’s not a recession, just a prelude to steadily slow growth. :rofl:

2 Likes

Looks like 2 quarters it is then.

1 Like

Ooh, there you go.

1 Like

I personally do not have an opinion on what is the correct definition, but there is no consensus - and much disagreement - that the sole requirement is 2 quarters.

I agree with the money people who say you can throw out the book on this one. I have never seen this scenario where consumer confidence is down multiple months, inflation is way up, but unemployment is at a record low. And add to that the market fluctuations across multiple markets doesn’t seem to have much effect across the board.

that is correct, cant be spun. the GDP results for the second will be coming in soon (tomorrow or Friday) and we shall see.

it not great timing for the dems.

Allan

Please stop

1 Like

That’s the general definition. There is zero need to try to spin it. Just work on getting out of it.

1 Like

Growth so slow that when a Republican becomes president that same slow growth will be an economic boom! :grin:

1 Like

Sad thing is, it didn’t need to be that way to begin with.

3 Likes

Without lockdowns you mean?

No, just Biden. You know, cuz he refuses to pull the magic recession lever in the oval.0

2 Likes

Do some googling. It’s the general definition among laymen, but for those who “officially” define recessions, such as the NBER, two quarters negative growth does not in and of itself mean that there is a recession. There are other factors they look at. I’m not trying to say the current financial situation is great or that we are not in recession, but the OP was about the WHEC “redefining” recession and mocking them by saying ““Depends on what the definition of the word “is” is.”. There is more nuance involved here.

The only thing of import or relevance is the layman definition. Everything else is unnecessary pedantry by this admin