Recently captured United States Citizens brought into the United States for trial before the Article III Courts

Ibraheem Musaibli, a United States Citizen recently captured by coalition forces in northern Syria, has been turned over to United States forces and will be returned to the United States soon, along with an American woman whose husband was killed on the battlefield. Mr. Musaibli and the woman’s husband were both fighting for ISIS and the woman was believed to have given material assistance. In addition, the woman’s four children are returning, at least one of which has been radicalized.

Both Mr. Musaibli and the woman already are facing sealed indictments in federal court.

Most likely, they will be brought to the Southern District of New York for trial, which is generally where these proceedings are held.

Is that the one the military tried fighting a habeas corpus claim?

No, that is a different guy, who I believe is still caught up in that litigation.

Good throw the book at him and look him up in Super Max.

I thought the Canadian approach was to repatriate them and deradicalize them by reading poetry?

1 Like

Actual examples of traitors, they don’t belong in the courts, give them a military trial and execute them.

the hell with that whole constitution thing anyway.

this is why i stopped voting for the GOP during the bush years
jose padilla,american arrested on american soil and W didnt want to put him on trial,just wanted to hold him forever.

and so i said goodbye to the GOP

Arrest and trial, good. Much better than summary execution of US citizens by drone.

Padilla wasn’t captured on the battlefield fighting for the enemy. Soldiers aren’t cops, consequently it isn’t their job to arrest people to stand trial.

I’m sorry.

And therein lies the point of this thread.

Trump is actually doing the right thing in this case.

They are being brought into the United States and tried before the Article III Courts with full due process. They will receive a public trial and a just punishment.

The indictment is sealed, so I don’t know what the charges are, though I doubt it is treason.

The last thing this country needs is to add to the clown car at Guantanamo Bay, where the military commissions have proven to be a miserable failure.

The Article III Courts, on the other hand, have an outstanding record of success and efficiency in trying 500+ and counting terrorism related cases.

Military commissions have been a failure because article three courts got involved.

Military commissions have been a failure because they have been expanded in scope beyond any previous usage.

In World War II, the Military Commissions were very limited in scope, trying enemy saboteurs for the classical offense of sabotage. At this they were successful.

Today, we are attempting to use Military Commissions to try a very broad range of offenses, of which Military Commissions have never had scope of in the past.

The Article III Courts have stepped in to slap down overreaches and they have stepped in to slap down a gross attempt to deny habeas corpus protection to the prisoners.

All of this could have been prevented at the start, simply by bring all individuals to be tried directly into the United States and bringing them before Article III Courts. These cases would have been resolved long ago with the efficiency and dispatch that is the hallmark of our Article III Courts.

The only mistake that has been made was establishing the Military Commissions. They are an abject unmitigated failure. They should be immediately dissolved and all suspects brought to the United States for trial before an Article III Court.