REALLY dedicated fishermen (or just bat **** crazy) šŸ¤£

One of the Brooks Falls live cams. This is the first day Katmai National Park has been open to the public.

Several people out fishing in the river downstream of the falls.

THAT takes real dedication to fishing or just means they are bat **** crazy. :rofl:

Not sure I would want to be in possession of a salmon in the midst of a forest and river full of very hungry brown bears.

I hunt and fish. But I think I will find a slightly safer fishing spot. :smile:

Probably less dangerous than it looks

1 Like

The bears will generally leave you alone as long as theyā€™re catching enough salmon on their own.
Iā€™ve fished Alaskan rivers, but yeah, that wouldnā€™t be my preferred spot. :slight_smile:

A friend of mine went on a guided fishing trip to Alaska. On the morning of the first day he noticed the guide wearing a 44 magnum revolver and asked if he could look at it. Upon inspection he noticed there was no front sight. He asked the guide why there was no sight.
The guide replied, ā€œWell, if I have to shoot a bear, after emptying the cylinder into him it wonā€™t hurt so much when he shoves it up my ass.ā€ :rofl:

1 Like

THIS is a dedicated fisherman!

2 Likes

I went fishing on an Alaskan river by myself with no regards to the possibility of brown bearsā€¦ once.

I caught 3 salmon, and left with damaged pride. lol

I knew that one would come up, itā€™s a classic!

1 Like

Maybe theyā€™re local fishermen who are thoroughly familiar with the terrain & its wild animals, so they donā€™t feel uncomfortable or threatened fishing around them.

Now, if theyā€™re around grizzlies and donā€™t mind fishing with them nearby, then Iā€™ll wonder if they have a death wish.

Thereā€™s really no difference between brown bears and grizzlies. Same species.

I would disagree. Grizzly bears generally are inland while brown bears are either coastal or along major water ways. They are the same species, but are different subspecies, with considerable dietary and behavioral differences. Grizzlies tend to be a bit more aggressive than brown bears. The ones at Brooks Falls are all brown bears.

Brown Bear Frequently Asked Questions - Katmai National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)(U.&text=In%20North%20America%2C%20brown%20bears,coastal%20food%20resources%20like%20salmon

That link may not work, but here is the relevant section from the National Park Service:

2. What is the difference between brown bears and grizzly bears?
All grizzly bears are brown bears, but not all brown bears are grizzly bears. The bears you are watching on the cams are brown bears. Grizzly bears and brown bears are the same species ( Ursus arctos ), but grizzly bears are currently considered to be a separate subspecies ( U. a. horribilis ). Due to a few morphological differences, Kodiak bears are also considered to be a distinct subspecies of brown bear ( U. a. middendorfii ), but are very similar to Katmaiā€™s brown bears in diet and habits.

Even though grizzlies are considered to be a subspecies of brown bear, the difference between a grizzly bear and a brown bear is fairly arbitrary. In North America, brown bears are generally considered to be those of the species that have access to coastal food resources like salmon. Grizzly bears live further inland and typically do not have access to marine-derived food resources.

Besides habitat and diet, there are physical and (arguably) temperamental differences between brown and grizzly bears. Large male brown bears in Katmai can routinely weigh over 1000 pounds (454 kg) in the fall. In contrast, grizzly bears in Yellowstone National Park weigh far less on average. There have been no documented cases of grizzly bears weighing over 900 pounds (408 kg) in Yellowstone. Additionally, grizzly bears seem to react to humans at greater distances than brown bears.

Some differences. Both can be highly territorial. If I remember correctly, when the brown bears are catching salmon and getting fat and happy, they are not particularly aggressive.

Sockeye run. As for the bears. As long as youā€™re not fishing in THERE spot youā€™re OK. :wink:

LOL Iā€™ve seen that years agoā€¦just as funny now as it was back then.

Kicked the bear in nuts and he dropped the fish. :rofl:

Grizzles have on thing on their mindsā€¦fish.

As long as theyā€™re catch their share. :wink: