Real chance for a third party

I think 2020 presents the best chance for a successful third party in my memory.
There are many people who will not vote Democrat and at the same time will not vote for Trump.
I find myself in that group.
The new party would have to field serious candidates with name recognition- maybe Biden/Kasich. It doesn’t need any nut jobs like Sanders, O’Rourke or Cruz.
I could go for Kasich, Rubio or Jeb Bush mixed with a moderate Democrat.
I’m sure there are other good possibilities.
Any thoughts?

Republicans need a third party.

Dems don’t. I understand your dilemma and am sympathetic.

I voted 3rd party in 2016 in the presidential race, and will do so again in 2020 is the Republican nominee again. If a 3rd party emerges with a good candidate, I think they could have a very good election year.

It’s that time in the election cycle people(usually cons) start talking 3rd party. It’s like clockwork.

1 Like

I have TEA party rallies starting soon in my city. I’m pretty excited about participating.

Not unless the state electoral system goes to a proportional electoral vote as oppose to winner gets all

3 Likes

Every state should move to Ranked Choice Voting.

2 Likes

It would be nice to have more than two parties to choose from. I most always vote third party at the national level because the state I live in always goes hard blue.

1 Like

Democrats are all about the divide and groups that I see 4 parties just on the left, no one can beat trump anyway…

I will never vote for a Republican for anything, not even dog catcher, and I also won’t ever vote for a third party.

The Democratic Party reflects the majority of my views on policy and governing.

1 Like

Why is every jobless crime ridden town in America run by democrats?

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I would vote for a Biden\Kasich D ticket.

1 Like

There always are at least three parties in the presidential election.
With the exceptions of Perot and George Wallace they never get any votes.

This next election could put a good third party with viable candidates on the map.

They could call themselves The Actual Republican Party.

3 Likes

If you did it would run off democrats.

Well, when you get down to it, every presidential ballot I get usually has 4-5 candidates on it. Dem, rep, green, libertarian, maybe another oddball.

But when people say ‘‘Time for another 3rd party’’. they mean another 3rd party with a realistic chance of challenging the other 2 major parties.

So stop with the silly word games.

1 Like

I think Bloomberg could have given it a real shot in 2016. An actual successful businessman, with experience running a government; yes, a mayor, but of a city with a population more than many states. Funding would not have been a problem at all.

His biggest baggage (of which we know) was banning large soft drinks. I would have taken that over either of the other two candidates’ baggage.

I have no clue as to how this could have played out electorally, but if there was ever a year for third-party candidate, 2016 was it.

Under the current system, a third party can only serve as a spoiler.

I think 2020 will be even more so.
We’ll have Trump and who knows what the Democrats will run. It won’t be pretty.