Questions on greatness

When strong Republicans are President America tends to be great. Every time a Democrat takes office we start going downhill. I would take Trump, Bush II, Bush I, Reagan, Ford, Nixon, Lincoln over any Democrat who has ever served.

1 Like

Again, you’re back to defining greatness.

I’m not “defining” greatness, I’m applying the term as I understand the definition.

Do you have a different definition of “greatness”, in which there existed a point in the past where we were “greater” than we are now?

Not to the potential we have.

Yes

By giving too many freedoms away to government.

Yes

Why does that matter?

Merit based immigration. Much higher standards of education in our public school systems with failure not being rewarded. Emphasis on the importance of intact families. Teaching morals and values and personal responsibility. Independence from other countries while remaining a global force with fair trade that benefits Americans. Common sense regulations and taxation that encourages growth rather than drives companies to other countries to remain competitive.

Adhere to the founding principles of the country which have proven to work. Don’t try to re-invent the wheel.

1 Like

If everyone agreed as to what greatness is, I don’t think we’d be so great.

2 Likes

Most people are very self-centered so it’s - are things good for me and those I care about ? Economically - do I have enough in my bank account, can I afford a good home ? Culturally - are the things that I like in movies, music , other trends generally popular or are trends that I dislike/disagree with dominating ? Socially - am I generally safe from criminals and other seedy elements ? Do i have confidence that my government is keeping me safe from terrorism and other external threats? And maybe most importantly, politically - is the party I identify with in power and are they free to run the country the way I believe it should be run ?

If the answer to most of the above happens to be yes , you likely think that America is great, or at least great enough . Of course , there’s always the underlying fear that all this is changing/will change and great no more we shall become :slight_smile:

You’re going to have to define it to answer the question, and even then it will be purely subjective and local.

To be honest with you, I’m not a big fan of the “states united” (lower case intentional) anymore. They never have been. I feel no allegiance to something that big and that different from my own values. I resent the imposition more every year.

Massachusetts might as well be a city in France. New York London as far as I’m concerned.

I feel the same way about the deep South. I have nothing but language in common with those people. And I don’t talk like them.

It is not one nation. It is not under God and it is not indivisible.

Any period I say was greater is going to involve somebody, some tribe, coming out on the short end.

By the way @Optrader great topic and OP. Again.

Did I say something wrong?

I don’t think so.

I am unfortunately about to enter a tele-conference meeting, and am unable to respond to your last post at this time, but I will return to it when the meeting is concluded.

1 Like

Thanks. And likewise, good OP :wink:

And yes, our country is more than one person in DC, or the collection of fools that work on the Hill. (I am VERY grateful for that). I just got the impression you were looking for feedback as it relates to Trump and our current standing in the world. I’ve never really had big issues with our society at large. When I speak of politics, 99% of the time Im referring to politicians, not average Joes. There are certainly cracks in the fabric of our society, but I think they’re very much inflated by the media. I think when it comes to perception of the US by other countries concerning power, compassion, arrogance, etc., that is only viewed through the lens of politics… I’ve always had the impression that our broader society is fairly well respected b y others, regardless of who occupies the White House.

I grew up in the late 60’s and 70’s. I would say things were much greater then.

Generally I would too, though I think I would have liked Andy Jackson, Harry Truman and JFK…

Great places to start!

1 Like

Diversity can, and has been a strength or a weakness.

As a white cisgender straight male of privilege, I agree.

Is and always will be.

Thank you!

1 Like

I haven’t mentioned the spiritual or moral state of our country and their relation to greatness, but I believe they are two big factors…

I don’t believe there is “a” spiritual or moral state of the country.