Question for veterans

As a gift… no issue at all. I personally wouldn’t give any of my medals to another person, but to each their own.

If he had tried to claim it was his and that he had earned it, that would be different.

If he thought he would get away with it he would, imo.

The most egregious of the bunch are the chicken-hawks like Trump and Nugent.

I heard Nugent espouse his belief that if he hadn’t gone to great lengths (pooping in his pants to appear insane) to avoid the draft, he would’ve ended up platoon leader and would’ve had the baddest platoon in Vietnam.

I wanted to vomit.

In one statement he conflated utter cowardice with a self-serving macho fantasy.

What a total loser. So typical of the extreme right.

4 Likes

Isn’t there a difference between those that used the available means to stay out of the draft vs those that actually ‘‘dodged’’ it by leaving the country or ‘‘manufactured’’ medical deferments.

I think that would have to be judged on a case by case basis. Some didn’t have the means available to them that the connected had. Clinton for example really only had to make some phone calls for all intents and purposes. Others had no such connections and may have taken more desperate measures. Does that make Clinton a better man?

True. However, the vast majority stayed out of the draft just by going to college.

Those who fought dont argue about it. Debate who won or loss. Right or wrong. They understand everybody lost. Only those that didnt fight feel compelled talk about it

Mandatory Clinton defense?

Sorry, you lost me on that one.

I’ve had quite a few conversations about it with people who were there. Mostly they are telling me stuff, not debating anything per se, but that seems a mighty general statement. I have one buddy who tells me virtually everything he experienced, others who don’t, one braggart who when he’s had a few has to make sure we all know of his exploits, all manner of people. That’s a sidebar I guess though, not so much about draft dodgers as about the war itself. It’s all cool.

Clinton just used the means available to him to avoid the draft, and didn’t dodge it?

Me too. Then came the lottery, and my number was high and I wasn’t called. Where does that put me?

Clinton never had his number called. Always had an excuse.

I feel the Armed Forces of the United States should be made up of ordinary citizens from all walks of life. Military service shouldn’t only be for the poor and unconnected. If the United States is to utilize our military through war then we should all participate to what that really costs.

1 Like

He got somebody to pull some strings for him, I forget the details.

People like Ted Nugent tick me off the most. Don’t be trying to convince me you’re some badass, or trash talk others when you had a perfect opportunity to serve your country and ducked like a little punk.

Also, it seems everybody who had a relative that served in Vietnam has a they got spit on story. Honestly I don’t believe them. Otherwise I’d think there would’ve been some stories in the press about the mass spitting on of soldiers back in the day.

Also:
Q: How many Vietnam vets does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: You don’t know because you weren’t there, man!

1 Like

That kind of conflict isn’t for draftees and mostly wasn’t. 70% of those who went to Vietnam were volunteers.

I don’t care that they dodged the draft. They shouldn’t have been allowed to return, but I’m not knotted up about that either.

It’s not for everybody.

I always thought that draft dodging or did not serve attack was just dirty politics. I don’t think vets cared as much as those running for office wanted to make it seem

Fortunate Son says it all.

2 Likes

Myth…