Question for Gen. Mattis

Obama said he trained ISIS, my question is did you help?

Turning to the dark side doesn’t help your case.

And Reagen armed the Mujahideen in the 80’s…And we all know how that turned out.

certainly do, the northern alliance was a great ally against AQ

1 Like

I never supported Obama, but it was a slip of the tongue and the entire speech was about the training that was actually happening of Iraqi forces.

Yes Osama Bin Laden did wonders for us.

1 Like

good thing we gave him no money, no weapons, and no training

Are you sure about that?

(Osama bin Laden - Wikipedia) British journalist Jason Burke wrote that “bin Laden’s Office of Services, set up to recruit overseas for the war, received some US cash.”[100] Bin Laden met and built relations with Hamid Gul, who was a three-star general in the Pakistani army and head of the ISI agency. Although the United States provided the money and weapons, the training of militant groups was entirely done by the Pakistani Armed Forces and the ISI.[101]

more sure than wiki. lol.

we tried outreach. at the time we knew little about him other than he was fighting the soviets. it did not go anywhere largely because he refused any aid. he received no money, no weapons and no training from us. whatever the paks did is on them.

:rofl: Amazing.

You have a link backing that up ?

Isn’t it though :rofl:

Yes it is. A complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

1 Like

And that info was from an author/journalist who wrote 4-5 books on the subject…So I’d put my money on him knowing just a bit more than you on the subject.

Start with Ghost Wars Steven Coll.

Add it to the list

He’s wrong. The Afghan Arabs didn’t have a money problem.

Of course… My source right, your source wrong…got it…lol

Too bad you weren’t here beginning in '03. We had some excellent discussions about all this then.

I seem to remember reading that it wasn’t money as much as it was getting access to weaponry itself. They had the money to buy, they just didn’t have anyone to sell to them at first since the Soviets would have certainly declared an embargo at anyone openly supporting the Mujahadeen.

That’s not how it went. We brought muj to the states to train them. It was an open secret and hiding it from the Russians would have been counterproductive to the goal.

We did not support the Afghan Arabs at all. The Taliban were babies in school then.

As was previously stated, our support of the muj was the root of the Northern Alliance.

Bin Laden was a nothing during the Afghan-Soviet War.