Pssttt. There was another mass shooting this past Friday

No abortion law you can even envision that has a chance of ever passing in this country will prevent all abortions. Any woman who is determined to rid herself of an unwanted pregnancy can and will find a way to accomplish that. So, thanks for making an argument in favor of safe, legal abortion?

He had background checks.

He had the gun a lot longer than 30 days.

He killed 5 people with a pistol. How low do you want to restrict the magazines?

“Near auto” firing rates? It was a pistol.

That’s true. Every word of it.

You’re right, in the sense that none of my suggestions would have prevented this particular shooting. Although, apparently, proper enforcement of existing laws would have deprived him of this particular weapon.

I’ve said numerous times, I don’t have the answers. I do think that more than one mass shooting in the past several years would have been mitigated or prevented if rapid-fire assault style weapons had not been legally available to the shooter. I’m sure the 2A folks disagree, as is their right. But it seems an acceptable compromise to me when weighed against the counterbalancing argument that “AR-15’s are so cool!”

So then the shooter just uses a semi-auto rifle that isn’t “assault style”.

Style is the key word. It’s appearance, not function.

You could ban every assault weapon and standard capacity magazines all you want. It would have had zero effect on any mass shooting. The only time a magazine size restriction would change anything is if there was a “good guy” there to return fire. If no one else is armed, the size of the magazine is irrelevant.

Unless people use the delay created by reloading to run. Or to take down the shooter.

Unlikely? Yes. But more likely? Also yes.

See, I like this kind of post. It proves what I’ve been saying all along. If the bad guy is halfway competent he’s gonna gun down a bunch of people regardless of the gun.

All he needs is a somewhat decent plan.

Unlikely: yes.
More likely: no.

You can swap out a magazine in a rifle in less than 1 second. Less than 1/2 a second if you practice.

That’s just enough time for a person to pop out of whatever they were hiding behind and get shot by the reloaded firearm.

Las Vegas comes to mind.

Though if he’d used something other than guns in Las Vegas he would have killed many more.

Oh, you can gun down WAY more adults/kids with a gun that shoots faster rounds than one that shoots rounds slower. But you can gun down 5 or six before they know what the sound is even with a slow gun. That’s usually all they care about slaughtering anyway.

Mass shootings will continue for at least 200 more years.

What I meant was, if he didn’t use a firearm and used a vehicle loaded down with diesel fuel and gunpowder and ball bearings… he would have killed a lot more than he did.

Explosives far outshine firearms in terms of killing efficiency.

I think the main reason we don’t see more explosives used is to a killer they feel “impersonal”. So killers usually want to inflict the killing themselves. Not just watch it from a distance.

But in a sense you are right. A killer that doesn’t care about the law, and that has a decent plan, is going to carry out whatever they want until someone shows up to stop them.

If there was only something that could be done about these tragedies, but unfortunately there is nothing we can do.

There are things we can do. But there isn’t anything the political left is interested in doing that will have an effect.

Banning guns based on appearance and the capacity of a magazine will have zero effect.

What can and would have some effect would be a method of mental health professionals reporting to the background system when someone is dangerous, and also reporting that issue to the police and the police actually following up on that information.

Another almost gun free zone massacre. Along with this one.

Why should I compromise?

Wrong.

Because getting to own a bitchin’ AR-15 is not worth even one life that might be saved by restricting their ownership. But that’s just my opinion.

I haven’t shot any kids. Why should I compromise?

I told you why. Agree to disagree.

No, you didn’t. I’ve already compromised several times and what did I get in return?

Compromise is a two way street.