Proposed bill to allow student loan debt to be wiped out via bankruptcy

I agree.

It’s scary that some of the younger workers I know were guilted (per them) by guidance counselors into making the college choice, discouraged from looking at other choices.

Couldn’t tell you how often I drive by various businesses and see HELP WANTED signs in positions like Diesel Mechanic & Transmission Rebuilding.

A hairstylist was experiencing a shortage of individuals with state cosmetology licenses & really looking for candidates to rent the vacant chairs.

Skilled trades need to be encouraged among more high school students for THIS reason:

1 Like

Could this unattractive phenomenon be one of the reasons many young adults aren’t paying off student loan debts?

College students sometimes become pregnant & keep the babies; it isn’t just the high school grads, as the article implies.

I don’t know about wiping out student loan debt via bankruptcy. No one becomes a professor out of the goodness of their hearts, without reimbursement.

Maybe what should be emphasized instead is 1) discouragement of unwed motherhood, and 2) encouraging at least a look see at other choices, for example, going straight to work and military service—which does offer a way to pay for any schooling once one has at least two years service.

Without changing our system of higher education rather radically, this is a bad idea.

2 Likes

That used to not be the case. The whole idea of going to college was to get an education. Period. The good paying job was incidental.

1 Like

I don’t see where the article implies that at all. For example from the link:

"Among college graduates, the picture is a little different. These young women account for fewer births—college graduates delay having kids generally—and as the number of births goes up, so does the number of marriages. “If marriage retains its place anywhere, it would be among the college graduates,” said Cherlin, “The difference between them and the non-college-educated with regard to the percentage of births within marriage is so striking as to suggest a very different experience of early adulthood.”

What the article points out is what has been happening with births over the past couple of decades, which is that the number of births in America by people in poverty is becoming a increasing percentage of all US births. Approximately 50% of all births in the US are from people living in poverty. One of the reasons for this is that many middle class Millennials are not getting and having kids. Now part of the reason for that is the burden of student loan debt.

Yeah, back in the days of Socrates and Plato! There is not a single person I know that went to college just to get an education.

1 Like

A mechanic is usually learning a task that can be passed on from a successful professional in their field. Likewise for a hair stylist.

Do we really need whole trade schools to teach these skills? That should be the responsibility of the employer wherever possible, imo.

1 Like

You can make that argument for any occupation, not just trades.

That’s no argument.

Who was arguing?

Just pointing out wiping away debt for those who can;t pay it back is not necessarily the answer.

Those who did it the right way end up getting screwed.

You were citing it in your grievances about the bill.

And?

The bill is a knee jerk reaction to an issue that is not solved by just wiping student debt loan away.

Aren’t ya’ll about “fairness”? What’s “fair” about telling people who scrimped, saved and worked hard to put their kids through college without loans ■■■■ you while telling those who have loads of debt, here we’ll just forgive all that and give you a free education?

Libs to the same thing with immigration.

■■■■ the people who are doing it the legal way…

1 Like

Yeah, I got screwed in that respect too. :joy:

This is a strange response to an objection that a particular way of doing things is wrong.

Personally, I think if an employer requires a degree for a position, the employer should pay for that degree, just like any other OJT program.

Student loans didn’t start out non-dischargable. You should have known there was at least the possibility that the law might change later.

This fairness argument is not unique to Student loans anyway. I scrimped and worked hard to get a (mostly) future-proof marketable skill in life, and now I get to pay higher prices in a trade war just to save people who didn’t plan ahead.

■■■■ me, right? If I wanted to buy a cheap washing machine and that’s not an option anymore, I’m told to suck it up for the good of the country. Student loan bankruptcy doesn’t even cost you money…so why not?

Well that’s not true. These loans are federally guaranteed so if anybody took one, they’ve already been paid for. That’s how it works if you default. The FedGov pays the bank, you pay back the FedGov. Neat, huh?

Well that’s a ridiculous premise.

I wonder why Democrat Politicians want to give away free tuition?
It probably has nothing to do with how Liberal most Colleges are, and going to College, is pretty much like getting a Liberal brainwashing education.

If everyone went bankrupt from student debt tomorrow though, who would America turn to though? The Government! The Government!