Private prisons and why they should be abolished

Good. Common ground.

Big campaign contributions ARE evidence, especially when there is a pattern, which there usually is. It is nothing less than legalized bribery and corruption. They canā€™t be corrupt if they legalize the crime now can they?

Love Rory Block. She da bomb.

Okā€¦ I just deleted my sarcastic response to your comment about proving that contributions drive policy.

You like Rory Block. Her music changed my life.

I discovered her in 1990 when someone gave me a cassette tape. I was pretty blown away and have been a fan ever since.

How did a white woman singing blues unintelligibly change your life?

1 Like

I never said they committed a crime or for that matter anything that could be PROVEN in court or elsewhere.

The private prison executives didnā€™t meet personally with Trump, hand him the campaign cash and say send us prisoners.

Not at all.

Instead, it went down like these things always go down in politics.

Money changed hands. No company gives money to politicians of either party without expecting concrete pay back. The executives of the private prison industry didnā€™t HAVE to say anything at all to Trump. Giving him the campaign cash was all the speech they needed.

There is no verbal or written quid pro quo that can be PROVEN.

But even a person with Downā€™s Syndrome has the commonsense to recognized why that money was given and what was expected in return.

Because directly or indirectly she introduced me to guitar blues by Robert Johnson, Bukka White, Mississippi John Hurt, Lightning Hopkins, Rev Gary Davis, Etta Baker, (acoustic) Muddy Waters, Blind Willy McTell, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Willie Johnson ( and that sweet throated woman who sings John the Revelator with him) , Skip James, RL Burnside, Terri Callier (not blues, but stillā€¦), Big Joe William, David Honeyboy Edwards, John Lee Hooker (not acoustic but stillā€¦), Furry Lewis, Junior Wells ( not guitar but stillā€¦), Howlin Wolf, Leadbelly, Little Walter (not guitar, but stillā€¦), Otis Spann ( not guitar, but stillā€¦), Robert Pete Williams, ā€¦ just mention a few names in my old iTunes collection.

you donā€™t know her. She is Robert Johnson reincarnated. Or she channels him. Yeahā€¦ not always. But when she does, she does. Sheā€™s good with Skip James stuff too.

I should have addedā€¦ acoustic blues. Not into much electric blues. And canā€™t listen to BB King at all. Not my thing.

I know. But you stated it as fact. I used the "courtā€™ question because I figured you would know what evidence you would have to present if you DID need to make the case that it was a dealā€¦ the way you described it.

For sure which is why i said even more imdefensible :slight_smile:

It took me about two hours to read through that article. It was informative and so very well written.
It was like a good book you canā€™t put down.

Thank you so very much for posting that link. That article was a real eye-opener on private prisons.

Yes itā€™s quite long but riveting on so many levels. I am very glad someone took the time to read it though, that makes it worth posting. It is understandably quite common for longer articles like that to get passed by. I do it myself often, as I (usually) have limited time in my day.

1 Like