Political Bent: Born this Way?

Well of course, but that’s somewhat of a tautology when it comes to applying game theory. With something like a Nash equilibrium, something has to be measured.

So, when I talk about game theory, I usually
make clear the context in framing it in. For example, aggregate health care outcomes like decreased mortality rates, higher 5 year cancer survival rates, lower bankruptcy rates from medical bills, lower per capita costs, etc. Now, if increased aggregate stats like that aren’t important to someone, compared to say an individual’s own financial obligations and self-interests, then sure, I see why they disagree. I simply value more people having overall better health outcomes at a lower per capita cost as a better result.

1 Like

Is “open” inherently “better”?

Probably depends on what you mean by “better”. For example, it could be “better” for expanding empathy.

I disagree that it is a tautology.

And you proved my point very well. You assume lower mortality rates are “optimal” for the collective (for example). That’s emotion.

Love the value judgments in that one as well.

Exactly. Was that not implied in that post?

Or could it not be better for developing empathy?

Ah, gotcha. Honestly, I don’t think it’s that simple. Being open to new experiences and being more social has certainly enriched my life. I still consider myself an introvert in a lot of ways, however, and I still withdraw into solitude and the comfort of routine when I need to recharge. One is not inherently better than the other - it depends on context and/or the individual.

2 Likes

Would you make the argument that higher mortality is better?

1 Like

Exactly, there’s nothing simple about it.

When I read your post, I see value judgments. If I am not open, I am worse.

Now the question is: innate or experience?

:rofl:

I can.

I’d be interested in hearing the argument.

Overcrowding
Over population
Reduction of available resources
Famine
Communicable diseases
Pollution
Global warming - not that I believe in that hoax
Poverty
War
Domestic terrorism

More people = more bad. Collective.

Do you or do you not wish the Chinese the would have fewer babies?

I am sorry I hurt you.

You didn’t. You were asked nicely. Intent vs. Impact.

I would make the argument that those are separate issues that aren’t necessitated by more people. For example, over the course of the last century, mortality has decreased, population has increased and things like poverty and war have reduced over that time. I think by most measures, our quality of life in the US has increased significantly over that time.

Yet cons have no issue if it’s women getting less for doing something equal. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Reduction in poverty leads to a reduction in birth rate.

Seems like that is self correcting population control in a lot of ways.

1 Like

I completely disagree. Poverty has not decreased one iota. We are flooded with economic refugees daily willing to die to get our resources. So is Europe. Neither has war. We haven’t had a named world war, but the world is at war.

Is it easier to feed 10 or 10,000? Which produces more trash (pollution)?

Look at the crowding in Japan for example. Or our own cities.

There is a value judgment there, in that I feel being more open and more social has been better - for me.

YMMV :wink:

Edit: And I’ll stick with the idea that it’s both nature and nurture. Both contribute to what a person is and does.

Correlation or causation?

I completely agree. I don’t think it’s ever either or.