Political Bent: Born this Way?

What I say is correct. There is no liberal gene. Pseudo science. Lol

Allan (born skeptic)

I donā€™t know if I can relate too strongly with this given my own personal experiences. I grew up in a very conservative home, held very strong conservative views through college, shifted to libertarian views post college, then mainly through open discussions with members of this board and post having kids, Iā€™ve shifted hard left.

Mind you, Iā€™m an INTP, Enneagram 5 personality. Iā€™m a logic heavy, data driven type. Unless I have strong evidence to back up a stance, I donā€™t take it. I donā€™t have some ā€œbleeding heartā€, so being drawn to more liberal/progressive/leftist ideology doesnā€™t seem like some innate ā€œfeelings drivenā€ (for lack of a better description) proclivity.

Ok, ok, okā€¦but I enjoyed the part where you donā€™t become fully sheoplized until you join a herd of 10 or more? :sunglasses:

Those are the proclivities you were born with and have shaped your world view for your entire life.

1 Like

Itā€™s a 9 year old link.

Do we have a recent duplicate study that confirms the results.

One study isnā€™t worth the time of day.

Look at that anti vax study. We shouldnā€™t vaccinate our kids. What a load of horse manure.

You know that sneak.

Allan

People should really read the interview.

The headline doesnā€™t really match the content.

I would not say that this study shows our politics are predetermined any more than a study of environmental effects shows our behavior is predetermined.

1 Like

LOL, that phenomenon applies to BOTH sides of the aisle. Sheep.

That last paragraph is really interesting. The article addresses this however. It doesnā€™t reject environmental factors.

Just as hypothesis and i could be obviously wrong here. You held strong beliefs in one way due to your upbringing and your environmental factors reflected your beliefs. As you graduated college your environment changed and your beliefs changed. It doesnā€™t mean that itā€™s not gene based just means the environment had a more profound way on how you think

Just throwing that out there.

1 Like

All the articles. Completely.

Alsoā€¦ Evolutionary Psychology is too squishy of a science to be taken too seriously.

Some findings can be interestingā€¦ but they are just thatā€¦ interesting.

Mang stop. The article specifically says there is no liberal gene per se. Look at @Jezcoe quote

1 Like

Amazing.

Yeahā€¦ the crux of the study is that there is in some people a predispostion to seek noveltyā€¦ okayā€¦ fineā€¦ I guess I will buy thatā€¦ but then it get extrapolated into political ideologyā€¦ kind ofā€¦

Yeah the tile is clickbait lol. Even pbs is not above such things. :nerd_face:

1 Like

To follow up on my thoughts and how I agree without haidt, I think my innate motivations are results driven. I want data to back up a particular stance, so I look at what empirically provides the best results. Previously, I thought a libertarian view achieved that. Now, I think itā€™s a terrible way to achieve optimal aggregate results.

So my motives are innate, but what I see as how they are achieved has changed based on my experiences.

You believe you are. I used to think I was too. There are several contradictions here. As a fan of Haidt, you should see that.

Influenced by life changing events.

Hey me tooā€¦ I used to be a lot more Libertarian in my economics.

Then the experimental data of the 2008 crash came in and I actually learned what really goes on in the financial industry and that led to changing my opinions about how the economy actually works as opposed to what the advertising about it says.

1 Like

You are predisposed to ā€œrationalizeā€ away challenges to your biases.

1 Like

Every single human has within them predispostions and biases. That is just how we are built.

Understanding that they exist is the only way to overcome them.