Police Murdering Blacks, can we put this to rest now?

“Adjusted for the homicide rate, whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks die at the hands of police,” Moskos said. “Adjusted for the racial disparity at which police are feloniously killed, whites are 1.3 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.”

Multiple studies now prove out that people regardless of races are killed in proportion to the attacks on police and resisting police with deadly force.

The same studies show that people are killed regardless of race directly in proportion to the homicide rates committed by their group.

Is it racist to simply accept the facts?

If anything the numbers actually show police are less inclined to shoot blacks than they are whites.

1 Like

You mean "adjusted’ facts.

1 Like

Nothing is being adjusted except for putting the numbers exactly in their proper context.

This is the only stat I care about. After reading the entire study (linked below). I don’t see any data on it. Please cite where you got this information from.

http://www.copinthehood.com/2015/04/killed-by-police-1.html
http://www.copinthehood.com/2015/04/killed-by-police-2-of-3-race.html
http://www.copinthehood.com/2015/04/killed-by-police-3-of-3-cutting-number.html

You could start here. 80% of suspects who are killed were attacking police.

2 Likes

A higher proportion of unarmed blacks are killed by police.

“The only thing that was significant in predicting whether someone shot and killed by police was unarmed was whether or not they were black,” said Justin Nix, a criminal-justice researcher at the University of Louisville and one of the report’s authors, said in April. “Crime variables did not matter in terms of predicting whether the person killed was unarmed.”

You don’t have to be armed to pose a deadly threat especially if you are grappling with cops for their guns.

The rate at which blacks are killed is directly proportional to the crimes they commit and level of violence they use.

When cops stop murdering unarmed black people who aren’t posing any threat it might stop being a topic of discussion.

4 Likes

The issue is instances where African-Americans are killed when they are not posing a threat to the police.

No one is arguing that the police should not defend themselves when they are attacked and the race of the attacker (and the police officer) are not important in that situation.

What the results show is that the police respond to threats in a fashion that is not influenced by the race of the attacker. That’s understandable.

The issue is instances where the person killed is not immediately threatening the police officer… cases like Phillida Castile… I don’t have the data but I wonder whether an analysis of that portion of cases would give a different result regarding racial bias.

5 Likes

There are always unjustified shootings of people of every race and there’s no reason to believe it happens to blacks any more often than anyone else.

The numbers show they die/get shot in numbers directly proportional to the level of violence they use in committing their crimes and are much more likely to resist police with force than whites.

If you surrender and follow their orders odds are you’re never going to get shot by police no matter what your race is.

There’s some real logic in “hands up don’t shot”, you just have to practice what you preach.

I was reacting as a researcher. Instead of asserting “there is no reason to believe” I was suggesting we look at actual data… because the sample reported on in the. OP focused on the instances where the police behavior is almost always going to be justified.

Do you understand that the research cited chose a specific data set to support a conclusion?

5 Likes

Don’t resist arrest or get aggressive with the police and you will be fine most of the time regardless of race. Way too many people want to resist arrest.

There is an exception here and there of course. The police officer that shot the fellow in the back while he was running away comes to mind.

He was convicted of 2nd degree murder.

1 Like

The facts have been supported by numerous studies so it’s not like this is a fluke or aberration.

Look at all the high profile cases we’ve discussed here, I’ve never been wrong about the outcome of any of them because I do my research and look at them dispassionately.

Unjustifiable shootings of suspects of any race are incredibly rare.

“Numerous studies.” Where? Cite them. I’ve posed a way to organize the data that I have neither the time nor the access to carry out by myself… But what is wrong with my research design? And can you acknowledge the flaw in the design that you cited?

Wait, I’m supposed to search them all out for you because you dont’ have time?

I’ve posted them in dozens of discussions over the years.

I believe the issue is of Blacks being shot or killed by police when not attacking or showing deadly force.

No?

2 Likes

ONLY because it was caught on video. Otherwise, the evidence they were later caught on video planting on the body would have exonerated the rotten cop.

More whites killed by police. Okay. That makes sense. But the OP is about police “murdering blacks”.

Why would we put that to rest?

From what I know that is still happening.

Exactly as in being “murdered” by police.

Including being run down by patrol cars or being strangled in illegal choke holds.

Well that certainly hasn’t been the case in most of the high profile cases we’ve discussed. Make an aggressive move towards police making them legitimately fear for their lives and armed or not you’re probably going to be shot regardless of your race.

There’s no data anywhere to indicate that blacks are unlawfully shot at a higher rate than whites but we have a racial explosion over virtually every black shot by police irrespective of the circumstances.