Plastic Bag Bans

That’s the Costco way. They end up discarding far less cardboard than most standard supermarkets do.

On the flip side, you’ll notice far more space around the checkout counters at Costco. They can accommodate the cycling of boxes into customers’ carts better than your average supermarket. So it’s part of their checkout paradigm already. Most standard supermarkets I shop at will actually have the shelf clerk break down the box right in the aisle after stocking the shelf. Maybe they can learn something from warehouse stores like Costco.

Just to clear up a few things real quick. Plastic bags in the ocean? Yeah, that’s not us for the most part, the bulk of that comes from other countries. Good for the environment? Not unless you don’t wash your re-usable bags it isn’t.

1 Like

The new york ban is only for grocery stores. Resturants and a host of other businesses are exempt and can still give out/use the single use bags.
And like you pointed out, all kinds of other plastic in the stores that will still be allowed. It’s a joke.

I don’t want bacteria from other shoppers returning again and again.

I always preferred paper bags anyway.

Doesn’t help with plastic containers which are much more volume. We go to glass…people get cuts when it breaks.

If you can’t stop usage 100% then why even try to at all? Seriously?

1 Like

When I first moved to NYC over twenty years ago I was taken aback by the common practice of placing things into a paper bag and then putting that bag into a plastic bag.

Didn’t matter what.

Get a coffee at the bodega… small paper bag inside of a small plastic bag.

Groceries… a paper bag into a plastic bag… sometimes double bagged.

Take out… once again… a paper bag into a plastic bag.

The amount of waste is staggering.

But other places will still have plastic waste so why try to cut down on it?

1 Like

Why’d the recind it?

You use your own boxes all the time. (At least, I do). Other shoppers have nothing to do with your boxes.

I use one box for ‘dry’ or relatively dry stuff. Another box for hamburger, chicken, etc. Which is already wrapped up and I make sure I don’t choose one that’s got blood leaking everywhere.

So I’m not worried about bacteria.

I am.

Consumers are lazy.

Stores will need to be vigilant with cleanliness.

What do other consumers have to do with anything. You dont give the boxes back to the store when done with them

When plastic first came out, my grandmother would ask for the paper in plastic. She had a use for the paper bags . . . but she liked the convenience of the handles to carry them.

In my state of Western Australia the sky didn’t fall in when they banned single use plastic bags.

The whole “I-use-my-own-container” line of discussion is quaint.

When the other 99.9% of consumers start to get on board, it’s a workable idea.

1 Like

The governor is a ■■■■■ that likes to troll Austin.

That’s it.

Ban was happily in effect for years. No one was clamoring to end it.

Yep. The amount of plastic used in packaging is orders of magnitude greater than that used for plastic shopping bags. And as far as calling them “single use” … I have never used one less than twice unless it ripped open on the way home. There are all sorts of reuses for those bags.

Iv been using re-useable bags for over a decade.

every since the local store here started charging for plastic bags 90% of my town uses their own re-useable bags.

Ah! I found the rooster man!

Right.

If they do away with these bags, I’m going to have to go out and actually buy bags to pick up my dog’s poops. WalMart bags were great for that. Ditto Lowes bags. (But the ones from Safeway and Kroegers almost always have holes in the bottom, which make them very non-utilitarian for that task.)

Just ask any parent with a kid in diapers how handy those bags are.