Philosophical of human evolution and how viruses play large part in this evolution

The planet isn’t trying to do anything.

Not sure of the point you’re trying to make framing the discussion in this manner.

Even the Laws of Physics are trying to kill humans!

GASP!

So much for having philosophical discussion…

Absolutely not. Capitalism is trying to kill us.

That’s a philosophical viewpoint.

The kid bare-knuckle fighting the Judge is America right now.

“His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.”

-Blood Meridian

I’m questioning the underpinnings of whatever philsophical discussion you’d like to have.

Why do you insist on framing reality as something it’s not?

Hey, practice what you preach dude, keep it civil.

Gravity ALWAYS wins……………

I did explain why it was wrong.

The words “Earn” and “out to kill us” imply purposeful action.

There is no purposeful action in evolution. The virus doesn’t “set out to kill humans”. Humanity did not “earn its existence”.

So why frame the discussion that way?

Use this as an example.

The Sun is increasing in intensity as its hydrogen supply diminishes. Eventually the Earth will leave the habitable zone and life will cease.

On top of that, when the Sun exhausts its hydrogen supply and begins fusing helium it will enter its red giant phase and engulf and incinerate the Earth.

The Sun WILL kill man.

The Sun is not TRYING to kill man.

The Sun is an inanimate object. It only blindly follows the laws of science and physics.

I seriously doubt humanity as it currently is will exist when this becomes a problem.

:sunglasses:

I think that in a perverse way viruses and other diseases have a symbiotic relationship with human populations.

Local populations develop immunity to viruses that are prevalent. If people from the area move to a previously isolated location where the local population is has no immunity, then their viruses will kill the off a large part of the local populaton. That is what happened when Europeans made contact with the New World, Australia, Pacific islands, etc. and brought small pox, measles, and other diseases common in Europe as well most of Asia and Africa.

That can work the other way to; local diseases can repell foreign invaders. When Napoleon’s army invaded Russia, they found that typhus was common and sanitation was poor. Most of the natives were immune, but the French were not and dropped like flies. Typhus was a large factor in the eventual defeat of the French.

Viruses don’t “survive” long if they are too deadly…or if the balance of their deadliness to how fast/easily they spread is not right.

SARS for instance doesn’t spread because asymptomatic people by and large don’t spread it.

MERS has an r(0) < 1.

We’ve only been on the planet for a short time. No reason to believe it will last very long.