Perth Telethon this week end

Channel 7 Perth’s annual telethon is on this week end. Since its first telethon in 1968 it has raised well in excess of $300 million including $38 million last year. The primary beneficiary of the telethon is our Perth Children’s Hospital and Telethon Kids Institute.

The Telethon Kids Institute is involved in research of childhood diseases,conditions and issues which not only help West Australian kids but kids throughout Australia and the rest of the world. If anyone is interested here is the link to Telethon Kids Institute.

https://www.telethonkids.org.au

Thanks to all the volunteers who will again make the 2019 telethon a huge success.

The list of overseas special guests who have helped over the years include Sammy Davis Jr, Stevie Wonder, Cliff Richard, Petula Clark, Harry Connick Jr, Celine Dion and many more.

Not bad for maybe the most isolated big city on Earth.

I think we are one of the most isolated, if not the most isolated, state capital city in the world. our state population is around 2.6 million.

Pretty impressive cash raising.
Is Cliff Richard popular in Australia? I’m quite surprised at that.

From memory he appeared at our telethon in the 1980s; so he would have been more popular then.

Ahh I see, he was still having hits in the 80s here too

And of course there is a large population of poms here as well. I see that you beat the All Blacks in the Rugby World Cup.

I didn’t see it I was working but it’s a great result. I’m more of a Rugby League fan as there’s a hotbed of teams in my area

Just an update at around 2 am Perth time the amount raised so far is in excess of $13.3 million.

The final figure raised for the Channel 7 telethon for this year is $42,596,034.

It is our 2021 Perth telethon this weekend. It is the 54th year of telethon. It that period it has raised $400 million. Two of the major beneficiaries are the Perth Children’s Hospital and the Telethon Kids Institute.

2 Likes

The final figure has just been announced. The total raised this year is $62,115,467.