PermaDrooling: The Official Unofficial Trial of Paul Manafort Thread

Perhaps they couldn’t find Manafort guilty beyond a reasonable doubt on the charges in which Rick Gates was involved.

Recall, they did ask about “beyond a reasonable doubt”.

So, perhaps Gates caused some jurors to give Manafort he benefit of the doubt.

However, as has been said - he was convicted of 8 counts by a jury of his peers. He is a convicted felon facing decades in prison.

1 Like

Not if they secured essentially a life sentence and have another case coming up. Maybe they decided to roll with the charges knowing they had the other ones “in the bag”

I don’t. As I said, perhaps it was due to Gates’ involvement in some of the charges.

The judge, who will know how the jurors were divided on the other counts, will take the preponderance of the case in his sentencing.

As Joe DiGenova just said on our host’s show - “This is a win for Mueller.”

Now I think DiGenova is sleazy, but I think he is calling it right.

No. They are merely hung on those charges, they didn’t acquit.

Hard for me to see it that way.

The trial judge went out of his way to be antagonistic to the prosecution, to the point where he allowed transcripts of accusing an attorney for the prosecution of crying in his courtroom to be made public and to having to direct the jury to disregard comments made by self-same judge regarding actions fo the prosecution.

The PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES made very public commentary about the defendant during the trial and during the deliberations of an unsequestered jury.

I’d say the prosecution did a pretty damn fine job overcoming headwinds stronger even than the usual standard of proof needed by the state in such a case.

1 Like

Same here. Manafort still has another trial. He’s already a convicted felon.

Yup. The conspiracy against the United States charges.

I think your comment in the other thread is spot on. I doubt the government tries to retry these 10 counts, though I’ll be interested when/if they release the poll of the jury on those counts.

Better to focus on the next case.

Maybe they could come back to this after that, but the way this thing is starting to roll up, Manafort is going to be pretty small fish by that time, I imagine.

2 Likes

Good point. We know that EVERY charge brought by the government had unrelenting votes to convict.

I really doubt he’ll mention either Cohen or Manafort, but I hope the prez says something tonight stupid about today’s developments at his backwoods cheerleader rally in West Virginia.

Manafort’s attorney said they are looking at all options in regards to their next step. I’m thinking he might try to cut a deal. They must know the trial in DC isn’t going to go their way, either.

You think there’s a chance Trump doesn’t say something stupid at a rally?

1 Like

Ya, what are you, new?

Hiring Manafort was Hillary’s idea.

Cohen was just a covfefe boy.

There’s gonna be a looooot of deep state argleblargle tonight. Though Cohen, in saying the Trump put him up to violating the law, is now deep state. So Trump had to have been responsible for bringing his own deep state to Washington.

Won’t make a difference to his supporters.

This all happened in the light of day on 5th Avenue.

Won’t make a bit of a difference.

Sentencing update from a former federal prosecutor…

Manafort is SCREWED!

Yes, Manafort could be old news very quickly, the way things are happening now.

He probably won’t mention them directly, but he’s bound to say something incredibly stupid. The cable news ratings tonight should be very, very high I would guess.

But by Nov. a lot of people will not show up at the polls.

At his age could mean in prison for the rest of his life. But a pardon is very likely coming, sooner rather than later.