PermaDrooling: The Official Unofficial Trial of Paul Manafort Thread

I don’t know. 3 days is less than two hours per count, and that’s not even the time to get organized and decide on the path forward. They haven’t had a bunch of questions for the judge since the initial 4 and haven’t said they’re unable to come to a verdict because of outliers. Seems pretty serious work is going on. Wel’ll see who’s impression is correct soon enough.

Why do you want this guy to be found not guilty? Seems guilty as hell to me.

1 Like

That is the biggest head scratcher I have here as well. Why would any American who believes in the rule of law be hoping and wishing this horrendous excuse of a human being gets away with his multiple crimes?

1 Like

Idk. Most people have trouble with their own taxes, not understanding. Let alone all these bank laws and tax laws he was indicted over. This isn’t a murder trial

Let’s let the jury decide that.

No, they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

2 Likes

Exactly. Which is a lot different than beyond a shadow of any doubt.

Judging by the note the jury sent to the judge, they’ve made up their minds on 17 of the 18 counts and are hung up on the last one.

That’s the way I’m understanding it, too.

If that’s true, that’s yeoman work to get through 17 charges in the 25 or 26 hours they’ve been in deliberation so far.

Yup. They also requested a new verdict sheet, presumably to clean it up.

He didn’t knock over a liquor store in Chicago.

1 Like

That’s kind of funny.

Starting to seem likely we’ll get a verdict today.

1 Like

So what would happen if they cant reach consensus on a count?

I dont know for sure. It is a good question. Would it be a mistrial for only that account? If so, if the prosecution got a guilty conviction on a couple others to put manafort in prison for 30 years I’m sure they’d be fine with that.

Kiss your ass goodbye, Paulie.

The judge would render a partial verdict. Because there’s 18 counts here, we could end up with 17 guilty counts and one hung, which would be fine by me.

I know this because I read it on reddit 5 minutes ago.

1 Like

They would render their verdict on the other 17 counts and the prosecution would decide whether it wants to have another trial on the last count.