Partying, Drinking, & Personal Experience

After following this drama over the past few weeks I’ve come away with the impression that these high school kids in this area were living the party life associated with fraternities or young adults in their twenties. I have impression of frequent parties with plenty of alcohol involving kids who were between 14 and 18 years old? I grew up around the same time period and by no means was it like that when I was in high school where I grew up. It’s like these kids had no parental supervision and ostensibly could party and drink alcohol in their parents house? It’s like the parents had no control over their children. Maybe I’m viewing this wrong but that is the impression I get.

I’m really curious on what others experiences are.

PS - My drinking days were when I was in the military serving overseas.

I moved out at 16, got married and had a place of my own that had a bar that you could tap a keg into. I was growing and selling weed on a pretty big scale. I threw some pretty big parties. This lasted until i was 20 when my wife got pregnant with our twin boys. I took the money i had saved up and got a degree in accounting…

3 Likes

I graduated in 1984 and went to an all white HS. I drank more in HS than any time in the past 20 years.

And i turn 50 this year so that was quite awhile ago…

Wow, very interesting. How old are you (if you don’t mind saying)? Where did you grow up?

IN the 70’s in Cal they had smoking areas at high school. Cal was a kegger and stimulate culture…

That’s about the same time I graduated. I recall the drinking age in NJ at that time being 21, which was one of the reasons we didn’t have easy access to alcohol. The other reason being that our parents had a pretty good sense of where we were and who we were with.

I was a single parent child (father passed away) and my mother was working her ass off trying to give us a better life, so unfortunately we did not have the benefit of two parents.

Where were the parties at? Even if my parents were going to be away for a day and I had plenty of friends (which I did not) I would have never had a drinking party at my house cause if something were to happen I would have been toast.

Okay. I had a stay at home mom.

Where did they have the parties at?

Schoolmate’s homes, most of the kids I went to school with had rich parents. The movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High is a mirror of my HS experience.

In 1987 I was living in a fraternity house at a University where the ratio was 9 female students to every male. Thank God cell phone cameras didn’t exist back then. My nickname at the frat house was “Buckwild”.

1 Like

I went to a San Fernando Valley HS.

Stayed home, read books, watched tv, birthed calves, cut raked and bailed hay. Didn’t have time to party and didn’t like most of my schoolmates.

1 Like

Anyone that’s around my age and grew up in LA should know what I’m talking about. :blush:

Thank God! The early 80’s were insane! It’s the reason why I don’t believe Cavanaugh was a choir boy back in those days.

1 Like

People’s houses… then keggers became raves. And they started taking weird pills like extacy…

I went to a pretty exclusive private school in Virginia. I was a scholarship kid there because I played football. My parents were well off, but not nearly as well off as most of the other kids parents, so I wasn’t part of the cliques there. Almost every weekend there was a house party with lots of booze and usually some drugs. I went to a few of them, but I was pretty focused on sports and getting a college football scholarship, which I did manage to get, so parties weren’t my focus back then. As for the parties, many of them were held with full parental knowledge. Often times the parents would buy the kegs. I graduated in 1983, the same year as Kavenaugh.

Ecstasy wasn’t around back then, it was primarily alcohol, pot and cocaine.