One and only Kavenaugh Hearings Thread (part 1)

Its smokey. Should we just ignore it?

No doubt

An open, thinking mind is always a good thing. I am really conservative but if there is “something” out there, I really want to know about it.

What makes you not like him? From everything I’ve read about him he is a straight shooter and sticks to the letter of the law.

It is so easy to read and ultimately be worn down by day after day of “hanky panky” but is this “hanky panky” is it really supported?

Lisa Blatt made a point that Kavenaugh is probably the best that the Dems could hope for in this climate.

I have a problem with the process being pushed forward before the Archives would have been able to deliver on all of the documents that have been requested. We went without a Justice for nearly a year when Scalia died and the country didn’t implode… why is this getting pushed through so fast? Oh yeah… there is a chance… not a huge one but still a chance that the GOP might lose the Senate. It is cynicism in it’s highest form from McConnell.

My personal thought is that since Kavenaugh was in the Bush 43 White House during a certain time there is a good chance that he wrote some pretty unpopular legal opinions defending actions that were quickly looked upon as… well… bad.

That is what I think they are afraid will really sink it.

I do admit that I could be wrong though.

That didn’t happen.

Because a bunch of them got marked as committee confidential.

There are still the documents from the time he worked in the White House that have not been seen.

They tried to subpoena them yesterday… which is a much better bit of performance art to go about trying to delay the process then trying to pin a sex assault charge on him.

I watched the hearing. They got the specific documents they asked for.

The Republicans got the documents that they asked for and a sizable portion of those were deemed “committee confidential”

He had to go through another confirmation around 2004 or so when he was picked for the DC circuit. He must have been thoroughly vetted then.

Dems have been provided with thousands of documents related to his time as a judge. And he has been in that position for many years. That’s what really matters when deliberating whether or not to vote for him for the SCOTUS.

But none of this really matters anyway. Most Dems had made up their minds a long time ago they were going to be no votes. This is just grand standing by Dems.

Oh… I agree that it is political theater.

2004 was almost a lifetime away from today. A lot has changed, especially in the political proces

Kavanaugh has a really huge paper trail yet part of it is hidden.

Why is that?

Because it has nothing to do with his career as a jurist?

As I said before, the Dems have thousands of documents to go over regarding his time on the DC circuit. That’s what relevant here, not what happened while he was in the Bush administration.

I ithink Ginsburg hit the nail on the head here. She was confirmed almost unanimously. That was a lifetime ago, but like her i wish we could go back to those days.

Washington (CNN)Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said that modern-day Supreme Court confirmation hearings have become a “highly partisan show.”

“The way it was, was right,” she said, referring to her own hearings in 1993 when, as a former lawyer for the ACLU, she was confirmed 96-3.

“The way it is, is wrong,” she added.

I believe it is because many of the documents are attorney/client privileged.

Booker is not a Republican. He got his and knew he had them before he turned into Spartacus.

Ok, so what they were committee confidential?

She can thank herself and her “Living Constitution” ilk.

Because people have rights.

Government employees have rights to keep official work product hidden?

.>>>>

Attorney - client privilege.

I don’t believe they’ve asked for any work-product when Judge Kavenaugh was in private practice.

.>>>>

Ok, if you say so.