Ollie North-Funniest Thing I've heard in a Long time

And it was perfectly fine to shred evidence at the time despite an order not to?

I’m not going to play this game with you all night.

Ollie North is a hero and a patriot and nothing you can do or say will change my feelings about the man.

Do heroes shred documents contravening Congressional orders? Is that heroic in your book?

Ollie and Fawn Hall spent hours shredding documents. Heroic?

Heroes are generally defined by a single heroic act they perform during their lives, not by every act they perform throughout their lives.

North’s crimes were so severe he was give a year of probation, community service, and a fine. This convictions were then later vacated.

He made a bad choice and broke the law, it in no way changes the rest of what he did throughout his career.

He is an honorably discharged/retired Marine who had an otherwise stellar career.

So you have no problem with him defying Congress and funneling money to the Contras?

No, I don’t. Congress overstepped it’s bounds, it has no authority to dictate foreign policy. No federal funds were used, no appropriated money.

The entire prosecution was purely for political gain.

Do you think it was acceptable for Oliver North to lie to Congress?

I missed your position on the shredding. Was that ok?

I think I’ve already stated I’m not going to play this game with you all night. Do you need help with reading comprehension?

Which of the above words are you having trouble with. Perhaps I can help?

You seem to have missed this so I’ll repeat.

I’ll add this.

He was awarded two Purple Heart medals, a Silver Star and a Bronze Star Medal for his service during the Vietnam War.
He is a recipient of the ‘Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal’, ‘National Defense Service Medal’, ‘Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation’ and ‘Meritorious Service Medal’.

Additionally he fell on his sword for his superiors accepting the full blame for the illegalities of the Iran-Contra affair.

The man is a hero by the very definition of the word. Throughout his career he acted selflessly to protect and save others.

Nothing else the man did in his life will ever change that.

As I said above, he made some bad choices and committed some violations of the law.

He is a better man and a better person than any of his critics and has done more in the service of his nation than most could in 3 lifetimes.

He paid the price for his bad acts and his convictions were overturned so his record is cleaner than most of us can boast.

If you had done 1/10 of the good in your life he’s done in his you’d have the respect and thanks of a grateful nation as well.

I won’t contribute anymore to your pettiness and trolling of a great man.

When you’re a partisan hack, everything is okay when it’s your own team that does it.

2 Likes

What was a lie? You used North’s military awards to excuse later behavior and called him a hero.

Troll someone else, don’t lie about me and don’t attribute things to me I never said.

We’re done.

Wildrose,

So you must also consider John Kerry a hero who also earned a Silver Star, a Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts. After all, you said this:

I actually thought pretty highly of Kerry until the Swift Boaters came out and told us how he earned them.

I was then reminded he actually committed treason later helping the North Vietnamese in Paris at the peace talks.

[quote=“WildRose, post:100, topic:578, full:true”]
I actually thought pretty highly of Kerry until the Swift Boaters came out and told us how he earned them.[/quote]
So sometimes awards don’t make military members heroic. So we can’t use that as an excuse for later behavior.

I’d be happy to go over the veracity of the Swift Boat claims if you like but it would deserve its own thread.

I’ll take their word over yours, and what he did in Paris confirmed it.

Understood. You choose to believe non-eyewitnesses over those who witnessed the events in question.