Of course it's Texas

Agreed.

3 Likes

The problem with a white majority population is…?

2 Likes

Performative that he did.

1 Like

Page 2, #2 I shall commit no offense against the laws of this state or any other state or of the United States.

1 Like

Rogers was convicted of Burlgary, his second conviction, and the three strike rule, with its 25 to life punishment is generally reserved for a third felony. I am not familiar with it being used on misdemeanor cases. I will admit to being out of the CJ field for a while and have intentionally not kept up.

1 Like

That doesn’t change the point that it is excessive.

And a person is going to look at that and think “that means I can’t vote”.

Riiight.

I agree it was excessive.

Dudes have gone back because daddy had an old rusted up .22 under the seat of the farm truck, weren’t aware of it, and used the truck to go get tractor parts. Felon in possession of a firearm. Parole is meant to be a ■■■■■■■ nearly impossible to complete deal.

I get it.

Perhaps it shouldn’t be.

Yep. The sentence is either completed or it’s not.

But, this has to do with voting, hence the poutrage.

2 Likes

There are many laws this person could have broken. Are you saying that parole officers need to go through every specific law with their clients and explain to them what they cannot do relevant to every law?

1 Like

They should go through those that might not seem to be a big deal that a person might not think is a crime…yes.

How many laws does that cover? The paroled criminal is responsible to ask whether something they intend to do is legal. It is not the parole officer’s responsibility to guess which specific laws their client might consider breaking.

2 Likes

:rofl: That’s astounding.

1 Like

Having dealt with POs from other states I was surprised to find that Texas is a bit more lenient/liberal with parolees than some other states.
Caseloads of 140 - 160 parolees per officer are not uncommon (limit by law is 75). Sitting down with them and reading through penal codes, civil codes, municipal ordinances, traffic codes, health and safety codes, etc. is not feasible.
A few were smart enough to call and ask if something they were going to do would trip them up.

3 Likes

Pretty sure all of that info is online as well. I don’t think I ever saw anyone get off by saying, you didn’t specifically tell me not to break that law.

“ In Texas, it is illegal for anyone convicted of a felony to vote until they complete their sentence, including probation and parole. ”

The guy violated the law. It doesn’t matter if he knew it was illegal or not. Ignorance of the law (that’s actually lawful) is no excuse. No big deal that he’s getting charged.

1 Like

Y’all better stay away from Capitol Riot threads for a bit.

1 Like

January 29, 2017 … mostly peaceful Democrats destroying stuff in DC.

1 Like