Obama. The Worst President in American History?

And when they don’t they risk losing.

The 2016 election absolutely proves my point. Hillary won the popular vote but did not campaign enough in enough states to win the election. She virtually ignored the state of Wisconsin and barely went into Michigan and it cost her, along with her failure in other midwestern states.

If we had just a popular vote electing the president then she could ignore Wisconsin and Michigan and many other states without consequences.

And why would she not? Why would BOTH candidates not? The EC was the reason that Wisconsin was able to be heard by Trump. They actually MATTERED because of the EC and only so.

M

Marky, this is what you said:

There are plenty of reasons for the existence of states other than presidential elections. Surely you agree, right?

You misunderstand.

I’m saying that the states would not want to be a part of the union when you take away their sovereignty.

They joined the union because they were sovereign and that was one of the incentives to join the union - because they would remain sovereign. Otherwise they would have stayed a state unto themselves.

The EC is but one of the ways they remain sovereign and important to the union. They are never going to allow it to go away.

Stop dreaming.

M

No, I understood. My point was that the EC is but one very small part of their sovereignty. You are the one who said there was no purpose to having states if there’s was no EC. I’m glad you are backing off that position.

The problem with this about fascinating point is that 2010 was allegedly a referendum on Obama and the 2000 seats lost was a referendum on Obama but suddenly midterm elections are not really about the president.

No he didn’t win the Senate. He kept it.

Again, doesn’t follow. The sum total of popular votes has to be gleaned from every state. That means that candidates have to acknowledge and try to persuade people in every state.

The guys that really pull the strings, that really control the agenda, are not republican or democrats. These guys own the companies that own the companies we hear of. They don’t concern themselves with day to day policies and politics. These are the big picture guys, with unfamiliar names. With the proper application of money and power, they influence the direction of our politicians, and there by, our country.
These are the people that want open borders. These are the ones that want the visa programs to run wide open. They want an over supply of employees, and consumers. Their goal is to keep the cost of manufacturing low, by keeping the workforce well supplied, and keeping as many consumers, people, as possible, to keep prices high due to demand.
They care little whether the public pays for their products, or they are purchased by the government as in welfare, food stamps, aid, etc.
It is supply and demand, and right now, they control both ends, while making all the money.
We can not just get rid of them. Our system would fall apart, but we are getting to a place where we need to gain more public control of the system that needs much more transparency.

States are merely given the inpression of sovereignty. They dont actually have it. The civil war should have illustrated that to you by now.

Too many people do not understand the Electoral College system.
It is much like the House of Representatives. It gives each state perportional “skin in the game”.
With out it states will no longer count. We will for all intents and purposes become a borderless country.
At first glance, that sounds great! That is unless you, or your area would like something in particular. A project, money, attention. Or maybe you do not want something. A landfill for a big city, a big wind farm, a freeway system running through your town, etc.
If your area does not have enough votes to make a big enough national impact, no one will hear your whisper.
The big cities, with all their votes, will get anything they want, because about 10 or 12 cities have more than 1/2 the population of the country.
If you do not live there, you, simply won’t matter!

And?

You think our laws and policies should be dicatated by the amount of physical land available?

Because of the EC peoples votes don’t matter, only the EC does.

Obama had 8 years to govern ,i don’t think you can compare them.

1 Like

The vote of the people determine the make up of the Electoral delegates.
The number of people in your state determine the number of delegates.
It balances the high population states with the low population states, giving a voice to all.
If we give up the EC because we do not like the way it works, we should get rid of the House of Representatives.
They work in a similar fashion. A guarantee of a voice in national matters.

One person one vote gives a voice to all.

I blame the schools for not teaching civics anymore!
I can not believe how many people do not understand how you vote for a president.
In most states, your votes are totaled and electoral delegates are chosen to represent your vote.
By the constitutional rules, each state is free to choose the process that they use to pick these delegates.
The number of delegates is in perportion to the population of each state. This is similar to the House of Representatives, so each state has a voice, and no one state has too much power over the others.
These delegates get together and follow the process to elect the president.
Look at those pushing this EC removal agenda. They are from big population areas. If they find a way to void the constitution and pass this, most of the country will no longer matter in the election process.

No, it does not. In this case, as with the House of Representatives, it is much more complex, and the left is counting on the uneducated to not understand!

1 Like

You have it completely wrong. You should have said that we would get rid of the Senate. The House is representation by population, not by states. That is the Senate.

He heard an expert say so on TV.

You know, your standard of proof.

Again, the states are already represented in govt by congress.

NO.

You misunderstand what I was saying.

I was speaking from their perspective with regard to electing presidents. Without the EC there is no reason to be a part of the union, with repsect to presidential election.

I’m well aware that they have other reasons they may want to be states in the United States, but we are speaking of presidential elections.

M