Obama rips trump in his first stump speech

this isnt going to go over well in the trump bubble

He noted that Trump recently said that there is “not much” he would change about the US response to the pandemic that has killed over 220,000 people in the United States.

“Really?” Obama asked. “Not much? Nothing you can think of that could have helped some people keep their loved ones alive?”

After Obama suggested Trump uses the presidency to boost his own profile, he added, “Even then, his TV ratings are down. So you know that upsets him.”

“Listen, can you imagine if I had had a secret Chinese bank account when I was running for reelection?” Obama asked. “You think Fox News might have been a little concerned about that? They would have called me Beijing Barry.”

Obama might not have been perfect but compared to trump is a whole different world

hopefully president biden can return us to that

5 Likes

I remember when former Presidents just rode off into the sunset after their terms to tend to their libraries. That ■■■■ came to an end with Clinton.

2 Likes

Trump defies political silence. Bush needs to speak out against him too.

6 Likes

Thought you guys were so big on precedent.

That’s what you keep hollering about in the SCOTUS nomination thread.

Thats not true.

Jimmy Carter is still active today, and it’s been almost 40 years since he was in office, and he’s almost a hundred.

1 Like

It isn’t the Presidency that is a bad idea, it’s the current President that is a bad idea.

No, really, the Presidency is the reason the US is so damned awful. Madison was wrong. There was never good cause for an elective monarchy.

I would argue that the fact Donald Trump is currently President is evidence that the Executive as it sits today, is a bad idea.

1 Like

I think you mean Bush #41. He had a whole lot to say about Clinton while he was in office.

There’s also the whole point of who remains popular and credible when they’re out of office. Reagan’s 2nd term was pretty rocky and wasn’t in the capacity to be in any form of public life any longer, Bush #43 was about as popular as a ham sandwich at a bar mitzvah after his 2nd term and everybody just wanted him to go away. Just because Obama and Clinton are popular and still carry a lot of political weight doesn’t mean they all have to just go away. Just need a Republican who isn’t hated once they’re out of office.

5 Likes

Not so much any more.

No, it is important to have a chief executive. The problem is an undereducated voter base.

In times of crisis a president is the one person that is capable of uniting the country. Imagine if we had a capable president now, one that could have provided real leadership during the Covid pandemic.

All polities will have degrees of awareness, development and investment; this will never change.

No system will ever overcome the human condition.

But, we can build them robust enough to account for it.

The Presidency is the locus of power. Its history is the history of its expansion and the capture of the tools of the state by ever-more-entrenched oligarchic interests.

There was never a need for a Presidency; esp when coupled with the Constitution’s centralizing flaws.

“I never thought Donald Trump would embrace my vision or continue my polices, but I did hope for the sake of the country, that he might show some interest in taking the job seriously,” Obama said. “But it hasn’t happened. He hasn’t showed any interest in doing the work or helping anybody but himself and his friends.”

Can’t be repeated enough.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1244761657114591234

Wonder what the people in the 10 cars thought ?

1 Like

Can you say with 100% certainty that those who died with covid would’ve done so if they didn’t have any comorbidities?

Yeah, Bush #43 is still toxic to this day. The Republican party treats him like a pariah. He’s not invited to stump for candidates or to speak at conventions. It’s almost like the party would rather America forget the guy ever existed.

2 Likes

100% certainty is not the bar.

Does it matter?

Yes. Yes, it does.

Times they are a changing.

Perhaps you will be singing a different tune when Trump cannot keep his mouth shut when his presidency comes to an end.