NYTimes:Trump Gave Dark Speech leaning into the culture wars and barely mentioning the pandemic

Nothing. Mostly discussion of historical figures and general patriotism which is fine. The occasional comments against “the left” had no real place. Although they could have been worse knowing Trump, they will do nothing other than fire up his shrinking base and drive more away. People are actively seeking divisiveness and inflammatory comments from Trump. Instead of using opportunities to prove people wrong, he adds fuel to the fire. His supporters will disagree and defend him, but they’re long past oblivious.

6 Likes

I rarely watch Trump speeches anymore.

I’m not his audience.

1 Like

Around 130,000 deaths from COVID-19 and the main thrust of his speech was about inanimate statues. Whilst not downplaying the historical context of the people around the statues debate what does it say that the President of the USA is interested in statues rather than people who have been profoundly affected by COVID-19?

He has long since politicized COVID-19. It would likely be seen as a sign of weakness by both himself and his base to discuss it. The strategy appears to be ignore it and deflect to social issues/the liberal boogeymen.

When there is a complete failure at being able to govern, the culture war is all they have left.

There is a certain segment of the population that is really invested in having “Merry Christmas” said to them.

5 Likes

No disputing that his speech would have been well-received so his base. But his base alone will not get him re-elected. He needs to get the support of independents and his speech would have garnered zero votes with the speech he delivered and I use delivered in the most generous interpretation of the word.

Can we talk about his makeup last night. Why was he the color of a basketball and how did he forget to do his ears and neck.

6 Likes

It’s true. Turns out nobody embarrasses Trump better than Trump. Weird, huh?

4 Likes

The New York Times and lib left are very much interested in winning this election. Sadly, the “paper of record” (time to drop that lie) and the rest of the left have decided to go full on kook fringe leftist nut job to get there.

My fear is it just might work.

1 Like

Agreed. It was a good speech in an inspiring setting.

I m not going to go back and find links but my memory is telling me The NY Times describes this President as “dark and divisive” all the time…he could look at the kids during the Easter Egg Role and call them “cute and precious” and that garbage newspaper would claim sources with knowledge of the comments called them “dark and divisive”.

1 Like

He’s mailing it in.

Such an inspiring speech. It made me feel proud of America, and my heritage all over again.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1279402168362115072?s=21

Saying “Great Andrew Jackson” on stolen native land was pretty on point for him.

13 Likes

Trump did announce an executive order last night that would create a “National Garden” of American heroes.

What do you think Trumps top 5 statues would be? My guess would be:

1. Jesus
  2. Ben Franklin; Cause he was smart and ■■■■
  3. Ronald McDonald
  4. Robert E Lee; Because he gets a bad rap.
  5. Donald J Trump

If there is a thread created on here my vote would be Paul Robeson. I am sure I would get an overwhelmingly positive response.

wouldn’t be true if that happened.

Nina Simone. Great American.

Yeah? The fact that he was sight reading that speech, which he had clearly never seen before, speaking in a monotone, repeatedly mispronouncing words and pausing so often as he read the next line no one could figure out where the applause breaks were without a long silence didn’t affect that judgment?

3 Likes

We were sick of the Obama agitating for 8 years. Just saying. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh they already released the text of the EO with a list of statues. One of them is Antonin Scalia lol.