NYT accuse trump of accounting and bank fraud

I’m starting to wonder if you can be considered an intelligent human if you can’t figure out that Donald Trump is a crook with all the data on him that’s out there. It’s not like it’s hidden or anything. And it goes back almost 50 years.

1 Like

I think for a significant number of Trump supporters it’s not that they can’t see that he’s a terrible excuse for a human being, and more that they don’t care for any number of reasons that are often outlined here.

One of the best posts ever!!!

Now here’s a fun question for you NF

My grandmothers home when she died. We had it appraised as part of her estate (in figuring out how to split the estate, pay taxes and whatnot).

We put the house up for sale. Our apraiser said it was worth x. We had two buyer back out because their appraisers said it was worth much less.

Was our appraiser guilty of fraud because they said it was worth a lot more than the “bank appraisers” for the person trying to get a loan to buy it?

Possibly they were, yes. It depends on how they were able to justify the comps used versus the bank appraisers. Now, did your appraiser overvalue the house by as much as 70%, as Trump reportedly did with some of his assets? If so, then I would say there likely is a good argument to be made that your appraiser was guilty of fraud.

About a 40% difference (40% less than our appraisal)

We ended up with a cash buyer who got an appraisal that was just under ours.

Split the difference on the sale.

That is a pretty big gap for residential home appraisals. I’m not sure about UT, but in my area of MO appraisers have a gap identifier they have to be within compared to other appraisals, or else they are flagged for review, including potentially criminal review. 40% is way outside of that gap identifier threshold. Someone was definitely wrong in your situation. But it is good that it seemed to have worked itself out for you.

The gap was mostly because there were no comparable sales. My grandmothers property was unique (Banks appraisers and our appraiser set the value of the building the same, there was a difference of opinion on how much the land was worth) in that it was an odd lot that had been that way since the town was founded. That with it’s location in the town and some other factors that dealt with a certain regulation the town had.

1 Like

Ah…okay. Yeah, that makes more sense. It would probably file under an exception according to our regulations here. Some properties just don’t have anything comparable to them and are completely unique.

Now when it comes to business property, there can be all sorts of disagreements on how to value the intagibles like “good will”. If more than one property is being appraised and there is a difference of opinion on multiple properties (it wasn’t a single property being appraised, but Trumps net worth . . . . all of his assets including what his Name would be worth).

So yes there could be a huge difference in appraisals.

So the house sold close to the original appraisal.

Sounds like some buyers were trying to lowball you. That situation doesn’t squeeze into this one.

So appraisers are allowed to lowball their valuations?

According to the Cohen/Trump partnership undervaluing is for tax purposes. Overvaluing for loan purposes.

But you already answered you’re own question. Your Grandpa’s property was unique and therefore difficult to appraise.

While personal and commercial goodwill are in fact intangible in commercial real estate appraisals, they generally do not add more than a few points in favor of valuation. Certainly not a 70% overvaluation.

Many appraisers have had their hands slapped, fined, or even lost their licenses due to overvaluing goodwill. Some have even gone to prison for their role in fraud schemes.

And yes, it is true they were evaluating his overall net worth and multiple assets/liabilities, I still don’t think you are going to be able to get around the bank fraud laws by claiming goodwill ignorance.

#Not.A.Cult…$$$$$$

1 Like

Unless…there’s some laundering going on…

Being a Chevrolet guy…I call bull feces. :sunglasses:

Just more proof the Mueller team found nothing. As Lisa page told them before they started… So, now they need to look somewhere else for a narrative…

I’m still waiting for you to back this statement up with the transcript and the associated quotes from her, in context. You keep making this claim as if you know it to be true. Share this truth with the rest of us please.

My first car was a 71 Chevy Vega … I wouldn’t claim a $50 value on that, much less $50k! :slight_smile: