NYT accuse trump of accounting and bank fraud

I would have thought a German financial institution would have had the sense to avoid loaning money to an obvious con man.

You do realize Michael Cohen is going to prison, in part for this exact same behavior, right? Even though he never missed a single payment to the banks he fraudulently received loans from.

Is there really no amount of criminal behavior by Trump that you wonā€™t defend or excuse away?

Iā€™m inclined to agree. Donald is not terribly subtle about who and what he is. If a bank still believes throwing money at him is an acceptable risk, then itā€™s on them.

Would you have a problem with even an attempt at fraud by Trump?

Who am I kidding . . .

This IS Deutsche Bank weā€™re talking about, you know.

1 Like

Hey, Smyrna, would you lend me $10,000? Iā€™ll put up my 1973 Vega for collateral ā€¦ itā€™s worth $50k, easy - just take my word for it!

Oh fine :wink:

You realize thatā€™s not an applicable comparison.

An applicable comparison would be your '73 vega being worth 2 grand (go with me here mmmkay).

You asking Smyrna for a 1,200 loan but telling him the car is worth 12 grand. Smyrna doing his do dillagance, finding out the true value of the car (2 grand) and saying, sure Iā€™ll give you a loan for 1,200 and you put me as a lienholder on the car.

Uh, no itā€™s not. Misrepresenting assets to a bank in order to secure a loan is actual bank fraud.

Whoever knowingly executes, or attempts to execute, a scheme or artificeā€”

(1) to defraud a financial institution; or

(2) to obtain any of the moneys, funds, credits, assets, securities, or other property owned by, or under the custody or control of, a financial institution, by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises;

shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.

1 Like

I was commenting that if you want to talk about fraud and/or shady dealingsā€¦you have to look at Trump AND DB in tandem.

Which is what the multiple investigations are investigating.

Are there people that really havenā€™t figured out that heā€™s a crook yet? Even his supporters should know that by now. Most people knew that in the 1990s.

1 Like

It seems the excuse being bandied about today is ā€œno controlling legal authorityā€.

Like Iā€™ve saidā€¦the arguments are the sameā€¦only the people making them change, depending on the context.

No, I get it. I was thinking more in terms of German practicality and why anyone would consider loaning Donald money to be an acceptable risk, but your point is taken.

Thatā€™s not a law. Itā€™s a general definition inappropriate to support your argument.

The value of the Donald Trump relationship was obvious to Deutsche Bank, considering he defaulted on several loans them. Yet they continued to loan him money. You are right a sensible financial institution, whether German or not, would not continue to throw good money after bad.

But remember this is Deutsche Bank, and the thing they are famous for besides bankrolling the Trump Organization as that they are the most important western bank laundering money for Russian oligarchs. They have been heavily fined for this and they are under renewed investigation.

Donald Trump transitioned from being the self-proclaimed ā€œKing of Debtā€ early in his career to participating primarily in cash transactions ā€“ far in excess of his cash flow ā€“ that again look suspiciously like Russian money laundering.

Its reasonable to suspect that given the centrality fo Russian cash to Deutsche Bank and the value of Donald Trump as a cleaner of dirty moneyā€¦ that Russian clients were influenced DBā€™s policy and racking up further loses on Donald Trumpā€™s lousy business acumen was a much a cost of doing business as the nominal fines the bank has paid for its substantial Russian investments.

3 Likes

NO itā€™s not the same ā€œbehaviorā€! Cohen plead guilty to tax fraud and perjury! And then turned around and committed perjury again when the Dems dragged him into Committee!

Yes, it is the same behavior. Lying on loan documents to a bank to overvalue his assets in order to secure a loan from said bank. It is bank fraud. We know you donā€™t care though that Trump has committed multiple felonies. Instead of pretending he hasnā€™t, why not just be honest and say you donā€™t care he is a criminal. It would be a more respectable position, in my opinion.

Now Iā€™m considering a parody of the Policeā€™s ā€œKing of Painā€ with that. Because I didnā€™t need to get any work done this morning or anything. :wink:

1 Like

Look up ā€œKing of Spainā€ by Moxy Fruvous (obscure Canadian band from 20 years ago) but a much easier song to parody than ā€œKing of Painā€. Besides, if you are avoiding work this morning, watching Furious on YouTube would be worth your while.