NY Bail Reform Really Paying Off

The NYPD says major crimes grew 22.5% in February compared to the same month last year including a 7.1% increase in shootings. Robbery, assault, burglary, grand larceny, and grand larceny auto all saw increases.

The only positive statistic related to murders, which were down 20%. Only 20 people were killed in New York City in February.

Police officials blame criminal justice reforms for the uptick in crime.

we need a police state to stop crime!

1 Like

I had seen an article a couple of days ago about some criminal - white - who was arrested 3 times - in the same day!

Granted bail 3 times and refused it, finally, the 4th.

This bail reform crap has to go - or at least be implemented more intelligently than it has been up to now.

I am honestly conflicted about this. An arrest does not equal a conviction. It shouldn’t be easy to lock up people who have not had their day in court. And I don’t really want to be paying to hold too many people before they have been convicted. Or found not guilty.

It’s a difficult line, for sure.

The cash bail system doesn’t work. People with money pay and walk out, poor people sit in jail.

2 Likes

New York has poorly implemented reform.

Other jurisdictions have done a better job.

We need to end both the private surety bond industry and bounty hunting in the United States. In many cases,the surety bond industry stands in the way of bail reform, understandably of course, as bail reform tends to wreck their business model. :smile:

In common law jurisdictions outside the United States, either the defendant, or a surety on behalf of the defendant, pledges bond to the court. If not the defendant, the surety would be a family member or friend of the defendant. Commercial sureties are prohibited. When the defendant is released on bond, no money changes hand, but if the defendant skips court, the bond becomes executable against his property. There are no bounty hunters, only regular law enforcement pursues skipped defendants.

Bond amounts are set based both on the income/wealth of the defendant and the severity of the accusations. Most defendants, even poor defendants, can make bail.

The United States should adopt a similar system.

There are many examples wherein excessive bail has been shown without a doubt to be equivalent to debtors prison.

There are of course examples on the other side of the coin where crimes were committed by persons who should never have been released.

Surely it can’t be that hard to perform a risk assessment?

For an informed opinion about the OP, it helps to have some background on bail reform. It appears somewhat similar reforms have taken place in New Jersey and Harris County, Texas.

The soTex reform actually sounds pretty reasonable, abolishing cash bail for minor offenses. I understand the rationale behind reform in New York—two men charged with the same offense, one bonds out, the other stays incarcerated.

It appears, though, that such criteria as assessing risks in consideration of bail being illegal since the early 1970s are having a negative impact on crime statistics in the state.

I’m afraid I’ve mixed feelings on the issue, part of the reasons being, as pointed out in the article, bail reform hasn’t had such a negative impact in neighboring New Jersey.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/woman-released-without-bail-after-violent-attacks-again-and-again-and-again-theres-your-bail-reform/?fbclid=IwAR1BmTVOgMQ2_yemm7-1Zux9yuNseD9geHro-KnYcdgxyvpuWn80f-BuUTA