Not sure if Europe can put a lid on the virus

image image

And of course thousands of smaller gatherings in teh same vein.

This ■■■■■■■ sucks.

This winter is going to be very difficult and I fear lockdowns are in our future.

Stay strong people. Think about your communities, and do the right things…it’s gonna be tough, but we can do it together.

We could if we really wanted to. Other countries have. We could too.

We currently lack the will to really see it through though.

What country would you model?

Australia did something right.

BBC - Australia Zero New Covid Cases

“The state of Victoria - epicentre of Australia’s second wave - recorded zero cases for the second day in a row after a 112-day lockdown.”

A 112 day lockdown???

No thanks.

3 Likes

Thank you.

The state of Victoria - epicentre of Australia’s second wave - recorded zero cases for the second day in a row after a 112-day lockdown.

Now I must ask, how is their economy? Did small businesses make it for 112 days without revenue? What happened to the employees? How is the suicide rate? How about drug overdoses? Was there any negative outcomes, associated with this good news? Is the negative worse than the positive?

WAY off the topic.

EU is what is on the menu.

Why do you not back up what you say? What country are you singling out as the model for the US?

True, but how is their economy NOW? Vs. ours?

Another member of my company just tested positive, so I am composing an email to my clients telling them we have to close down again for two weeks.

Two weeks more of zero income for me.

Had we as a country shut down tightly from march till may, maybe I wouldn’t be here right now.

Looks like they are going to end up with a 4% contraction for 2020.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/poll-australias-economy-out-of-recession-but-recovery-path-bumpy-2020-10-26

I’m not sure how that compares to 2020 for the US.

My expectation is that food, tourism and entertainment would be hit hardest In a so-called “lockdown”, but economic activity as a whole would eek along.

Some of these industries are hit hard in the US even without lockdown because customers are reluctant to embrace full scale indoor public interaction.

So I don’t have a quantitative comparison of COVID costs for Australia vs the US.

But it does show that in the right circumstances mitigation is possible. Many on this board argue that mitigation is not possible.

What I’m seeing is that there are no perfect scenarios so…“we” must choose the lessor of the evils and…one shoe does not fit all feet. The methodology applied should be different around the country, depending on how congested the areas are and what’s currently happening regarding the viral infection rate? Where I live, a lockdown would do more damage, than good IMHO.

2 Likes

I m sorry to hear that you are taking those steps. It’s your business and those are your decisions…

But locking down for effectively 3 months, March-April-May…

Lockdown don’t work. I know this thread is about the EU but…

The Aussies example…112 days before they got to two days with no one being diagnosed. I’d be willing to bet you a cold beer or two that within the next week there will be new cases and new diagnoses…

It’s a virus and it’s not going away.

2 Likes

Owned by foreign interests. :wink:

2 Likes

You would have prolonged the inevitable even further. Had the kids went back to school in April and bau with precautions, wash hands, don’t touch face, cough in elbow, a flattened curve would have been experienced, and the elderly may have been able to leave their bubbles by now. Lockdowns prolong the agony.

1 Like

Doubtful, not with porous borders.

1 Like

The actual experts disagree

Australia proves that wrong

1 Like

Europe is proving it correct.

1 Like

No it’s not. They only did partial shutdowns. -The only countries who did real shutdowns were China and Australia who are both doing better case-wise and financially.

There was a good discussion going on, I was getting worried for a minute.

Thanks.

1 Like

China has porous borders too.