North Korea threatens to cancel Trump-Kim summit

Again, there were talks underway with your Euro allies to bolster the JCPOA. That was the alternative, Trump killed it.

P5 will remain in the JCPOA for now, it remains to be seen if the US will sanction us for abiding by its conditions.

The talks have not ceased. The Europeans are desperate to get something done that the US will agree with.

Now however they have a real incentive to get something done.

You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes within this administration or between it and our allies.

-Trump made it clear that without denuclearization there’s nothing to negotiate which is the proper attitude to start with.

It was Obama that dropped the preconditions with both Iran and NK.

Neither do you.

And unlike Mole, I’m not claiming to.

PARIS — European leaders opened a diplomatic push Wednesday to salvage the Iran nuclear accord without the United States, starting direct talks with Tehran and considering how to maintain business ties in the face of Washington opposition.

“The deal is not dead,” said French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, speaking on France’s RTL radio. “There’s an American withdrawal from the deal, but the deal is still there.”

French President Emmanuel Macron — Europe’s leading interlocutor as it sought to persuade Trump not to abandon the deal — spoke with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani by phone Wednesday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/europeans-scramble-to-save-iran-nuclear-deal-but-face-new-concerns-over-us-sanctions/2018/05/09/39937066-536f-11e8-abd8-265bd07a9859_story.html?utm_term=.457b205585b5

Right, the P5 will remain in the JCPOA and see if the US sanctions us for abiding by it’s conditions.

There is no replacement plan on the table. We’re trying to figure out how to abide by the current agreement without the US in it.

And again you have no idea what is going on behind the scenes within this administration or between it and our allies.

Behind the scenes? This has all played out in public from day 1. It’s actually all been quite remarkably public.

Hell even Macron et al openly said there is no alternative plan. No replacement that had been or was being negotiated.

Oh horse hockey, you have no clue what discussions are or have been held privately relative to this whole mess.

I mean we do, because we know about the negotiations and discussions that were taking place between the US and the E3 members to bolster the JCPOA with supplemental agreements re: Ballistic missile testing, the sunset clause and Iranian funding of terrorism.

They were close to a deal, though the sunset clause was a bit of a stickler, then Trump pulled the rug out from under them.

You have absolutely no idea of what is going on behind the scenes, quit pretending otherwise. It’s laughable that you would even attempt to make such an argument.

I really think we are in a no-win situation. And I do believe nuke technology will find it’s way to terrorists without nation states (if it hasn’t already).

Yes, the Trump administration is very good at keeping what it’s doing quiet. No leaks!

:grin:.

Meanwhile the P5 is spending a great deal of time an effort to figure out how to make the JCPOA work without the US, while simultaneously being in super secret talks about a separate agreement that would make the JCPOA irrelevant. Makes sense.

Just keep making it up as you go along and I’ll just keep laughing.

You have no clue what discussions are held behind the scenes and we all know it.

I mean it’s like 70 year old technology, eventually someone is going to set one off in a city again

Still, it’s stopped the great powers from warring…

1 Like

Yup, super secret talks with no leaks.

i agree…

everything Mole is saying is public knowledge based on statement by European government officials.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/north-korea-threatens-to-cancel-summit-with-trump-over-military-drills/2018/05/15/04a15a5e-5878-11e8-8b92-45fdd7aaef3c_story.html?utm_term=.b624d7285c7a

“ North Korea is rapidly moving the goal posts for next month’s summit between leader Kim Jong Un and President Trump, saying the United States must stop insisting it “unilaterally” abandon its nuclear program and stop talking about a Libya-style solution to the standoff.

The latest warning, delivered by former North Korean nuclear negotiator Kim Gye Gwan on Wednesday, fits Pyongyang’s well-established pattern of raising the stakes in negotiations by threatening to walk out if it doesn’t get its way.”