No need for federal minimum wage

rising wages in a healthy economy is a good thing. when the pressure to increase wages is a result of outside influences not connected to the economies growth and room for wage increases the resultant wage inflation will be the catalyst for more systemic inflation throughout the economy. this will have te effect of wiping out any gains and devaluing the currency. its good news for the government though, monetizing the debt will make it easier to keep up on.

Yeah like all those car dealer apps that are having so much success ā€¦ā€¦ well not really.

I used one of those, once, in a grocery store and then thought, hey, I have no interest in being a cashier.

i agree that cashier can be easily replaced. other positions, not so muchā€¦yet.

If everybody would do that it would be great, but itā€™s a utopian pipe dream and will never ever happen, not now not ever. Did I say never ever ever? Thatā€™s a fact.

What Trump policy? Be specific.

ā€¦and thatā€™s why itā€™s been labeled, ā€œthe American Dreamā€. The opportunity is there for all but not all make the effort to grasp the opportunity.

ā€¦I heard the same back in the 80s about computers. Wake up, itā€™s coming.

i would have to say the individual policies that likely effected it more than others were reciprocal trade and corporate tax policies which made a lot of sense. i like free trade, so long as the base your working from has some sort of parity. iā€™ve always thought this. it is a tough problem though. situations like autoworkers make it so. while the same workers doing the same job in mexico are underpaid, us autoworkers are overpaid (considering total compensation).

Wow, that works too just didnā€™t think cons would be ok with that. The prices will increase argument is nonsense in most cases. Especially since using Walmart for example they could afford to cover the like 10 billion dollars a year taxpayers pay their employees and and they would still profit 7 billion a year. If they decide to raise prices in order to keep their profits at the prior level then the companies like Costco who are not being subsidized would have a massive price advantage. Why would people shop at Walmart when everything costs 10% more but most other stores have the same prices?

What is going on now is so far from capitalism.

**[quote=ā€œBen_Natuf, post:42, topic:239733, full:trueā€]
rising wages in a healthy economy is a good thing. when the pressure to increase wages is a result of outside influences not connected to the economies growth and room for wage increases the resultant wage inflation will be the catalyst for more systemic inflation throughout the economy. this will have te effect of wiping out any gains and devaluing the currency. its good news for the government though, monetizing the debt will make it easier to keep up on.
[/quote]

At the low end wages are irrelevant. If you got from 8$ an hour to 11$ you donā€™t really get any net benifit because you just lose some of your taxpayer funded benifits. Companies know this. I believe this is the main cause of stagnation

Not all are capable, for myriad reasons.

The examples are numerous. Back in the early 80s supermarkets were paying anywhere between 8-12 bucks an hour. They had 10-15 lanes open and an extra 3-5 people to give cashiers breaks and they still made money.

They used to have over 20 toll collectors at busy interchanges and they still made money. Now they have a scant few.

remember Walmart in one of the Dakotas? Starting cashiers at almost 20 bucks an hour due to the oil industry booming? Did they raise prices? No. Itā€™s a battle. With the unions dying off the rank and file employee is taking the hit. Itā€™s a battle to see who can work for the least.

1 Like

then stop giving out free money. the solution to people not taking jobs because it will cost them benefits is not to give more people more benefits. when trump cut corporate taxes many of the companies used the windfall to fund wage increases and attract a more dependable workforce, walmart being one of the first to do so. the result was increasing wages at the lower end and a decrease in the wage gap.

1 Like

Yet the effects (the great resignation and wage increases) donā€™t manifest until after the pandemic?

Sorry, that just doesnā€™t track.

Probably because thereā€™s still a few states that donā€™t have their own. But why pay the people that work in those states at all? They should be grateful they even have a job, right?

Killing jobs in the name of a ā€œliving wageā€. That wonā€™t backfire.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

I noticed nobody is complaining about the stimulus checks with Bidenā€™s signature on them.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

So we are just going to ignore what they are currently paying labor now?