Nikki Haley claims top aides tried to recruit her to ‘save the country’ by undermining Trump

Haley 2024?
Based on historical precedent, winning the favor of a current Republican President is not a good way to be the GOP candidate in the future. Republican Presidents tend to end their terms in such disgrace that the party never wants to associate with them again.

Did anyone want the endorsement of Nixon? Ford? GHW Bush? GW Bush?

In my lifetime, there is only one Republican President that the party has not wholeheartedly disowned once his time in office was over.

Fear of Mean Tweets.

Can you imagine he dumps pence?

1 Like

A legitimate fear for Republicans. Their voters would abandon their own mothers and wives’ fidelity for Trump.

Probably not. But he brought Pence onboard to help convince evangelicals and other religious voters to get on the Trump Train. Those people are now his base and he has no fear of losing them, so maybe he’ll decide to dump Pence to try to bring back moderates like me. But I doubt it.

1 Like

I could see haley pulling people but you still have the head of the snake at the top.

1 Like

Haley wouldn’t make enough of a difference - feels like a lateral move exchanging Pence for her, so if she’s the option there’s less disruption to the campaign holding on to Pence.

save the country from what people who are too stupid to know what email to use as Secretary of State, sorry but they’re a little late on that one.:rofl:

I can’t imagine a sensible president abandoning Pence. People in the Obama Administration actually briefly discussed replacing Biden in 2016, but realized it would make Obama seem unsteady. But Trump isn’t sensible, so it’s very possible Pence could be replaced.

She brings diversity to the ticket, perhaps more diversity than the Dems might end up with. It takes away the talking point that the Republican party is the party of old white guys.

IMO there is no one who would see Haley on the ticket as a convincing move towards diversity. Trump Nation will vote for him regardless of running mate, those opposed to Trump won’t be convinced to vote for him just because he dropped Pence. It’s a wash.

They are both accomplished…and arrogant. Do you believe…they believe…their way…is better than Trump’s?

I don’t know. Like I said, the evangelical/religious freedom vote is a stone-cold lock for Trump no matter who his running mate is, so what does he gain with Pence? And Trump loves disruption. Still, I’m not predicting a change.

I think Haley could help with the women vote.

I agree that Pence really brings nothing to the ticket - he’s an inoffensive milquetoast who says all the right things to appease a demographic that has already signed their allegiance to Donald in blood.

That said, if the objective is to win over undecideds and moderates to the ticket? Haley doesn’t bring enough to overcome Donald’s negatives. Again, just my opinion but dumping Pence for Haley is a lateral move, and possibly a negative one for the disruption it could cause.

1 Like

I’m still trying to figure out why Tillerson who was the Chairman and CEO of Exxon/ Mobil was tapped to be the Sec State.
Lots of international business savvy in the energy sector with lots of high level contacts in oil producing countries no doubt.
Maybe Trump didn’t eventually like his style?

It’s not outside the bounds of possibility that he’d make Ova k his VP candidate. Let’s be real.

I am surprised to learn you are familiar with browser environments in this way.

He brought establishment approval to the ticket which Trump would not have had without adding someone like Pence as VP.

As CEO of Exxon he had a whole lot of international experience as well as a solid understanding of the energy business which is of primary concern and was in 2016 as well.

Why did he leave? I think he and Trump butted heads a whole lot. Two completely different men with very different styles, not a good match.