New Zealand: "Our gun laws will change." Why them and not us?

The NZ constitution is so fluid and multi-sourced that it is like the Qur’an. You can find a precedent in its corpus for any behaviour from which to argue your case in law, and depending on the ideological opinions of the judge, and perhaps some cash, get any possible outcome. There are no individual God-given rights protected by NZ’s constitution. The government can enact any law they think they can get away with as long as they can BS their way through objections using rhetoric and case law.

What they have is technically called by the government “a constitution” because that’s what the government chooses to call it. The NZ government runs rough-shod over individual freedoms with no significant checks and balances. Only if a huge voting majority make a prolonged stink over some government action will the government perhaps back off, but by generating multiple objectionable policies, the small voting block is kept in small disparate complaining blocks with small bleats that can be ignored.

" The Constitution of New Zealand is the sum of laws and principles that make up the body politic of the realm. It concerns the relationship between the individual and the state, and the functioning of government. Unlike many other nations, New Zealand has no single constitutional document. The Constitution Act 1986 comprises only a portion of the uncodified constitution, along with a collection of statutes (Acts of Parliament), the Treaty of Waitangi, Orders in Council, letters patent, decisions of the courts and unwritten conventions.

New Zealand is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system of government. This system is based on the Westminster system , although that term is increasingly inapt given constitutional developments particular to New Zealand. The head of state, the monarch of New Zealand is represented in the Realm of New Zealand by the Governor-General and is the source of executive, judicial and legislative power."

If it was so important than some leftist organization could pony up the money and investigate all they wanted. But the fact is no matter who would did the study it will only show what ever bias they wanted it to show.
There is no way for them to know how many lives are saved every year because some had a gun and defended themselves. And they really don’t even care to know.
I hear people say all the time that well no law is going to stop every murder. But if this law saves just one person than that will be enough.
Well how about the people that were killed because they could not defend themselves because the government and the gun grabbers took away the tool they needed to save their lives.

Apparently owning slaves isn’t an infringement of the USA constitution.

Kiwis like Aussies will have a chance to decide which party or parties they want to for the government at their next general election. With respect to Australia, we can decide whether we want to support any political party that wants to dilute our gun laws on the 18/04/19. The party that tried to get in bed with the NRA in the latest opinion poll (commissioned by the American Rupert Murdoch’s newspapers) was down to 4%.

Let me summarise a number of posts that clearly show that some don’t care about the almost 40,000 people who died in gun related deaths in the USA in 2018.

That about sums it up.
Not just some, but a lot of Americans believe that.
To us, it’s about freeberty.
You’re a great ally who speaks a common language but we are different.

I have hope that at some point in time there will be a realisation that enough is enough. Unfortunately, I think it will probably be in the aftermath of an horrendous mass shooting.

It will not change for the next generation or two.
Another horrendous mass shooting will not significantly move the needle.
Neither Newtown nor Las Vegas did.
We are different. It’s in our DNA.

I mean, your argument is in bad faith. You religiously believe that guns don’t cause more people to die while simultaneously saying that there hasn’t been any valid research. If there hasn’t been any valid research, how are you reaching your conclusion?

If you want just want your guns because it’s in the Constitution and it makes you feel better fine…but don’t pretend it’s some sort of objective argument when you don’t take into account any objective metrics.

As horrible as the mass shootings are (not trying to minimize them) they are only a fraction of the gun murders that take place in the U.S. that doesn’t receive much media coverage.

I agree.
I forget how many my local news mentioned in the last week.

I agree that it forms a relatively small percentage of all gun deaths but I think it will be the catalyst for change.

How is my argument in bad faith? What have I said that is untrue? How can defending the Constitution ever be considered to be in bad faith? Your bias against guns has clouded your thinking.

3/5ths of a person.

What about the millions of citizens killed worldwide in history by governments and criminals because they had been disarmed and rendered unable to defend themselves with adequate force? Do you care about them?

1 Like

War sucks.

You still don’t understand it.

Does that include Australia or New Zealand?

Does it include New Zealanders murdered by Australians.

Sorry but I do.