New Zealand: "Our gun laws will change." Why them and not us?

No, it’s a simple case of a Constitutionally protected right. If you believe that right should be suspended in the name of individual security, change the Constitution. Regardless, it’s time to stop punishing the huge majority of responsible, law abiding gun owners for the criminal actions of the few. That approach will never produce the result you desire … well unless you are a criminal that is.

I quote from a recent post of yours in this topic:

"It doesn’t matter. They stayed out of school because of fear generated by authorities who greatly exaggerated the danger to manipulate them."

What is the per capita gun related deaths in the USA compared to Australia?

It is clear and unequivocal that what you have said is correct. One just has to look at the comparative per capita gun related deaths of Australia and the USA.

I understand that it’s constitutionally protected and I’m not advocating for any gun bans. I’m simply making an objective analysis that continuing to make gun ownership seem like a good thing is doing more harm than good.

The evolution of society didn’t stop end in the 18th century. The founders tried to create a society that was better than what was before it… hopefully one day we will start to be guided by a sober analysis of the facts.

I think America’s poor education system is the reason why it’s difficult to pass a lot of what should be common sense legislation. If you can get people to base all of their decisions on religion, tribalism and emotion, instead of probability, statistics and critical thinking… it’s pretty easy to have everyone choosing things that impede social progress.

The gun you buy is more likely to cause your death than to protect you. I mean, beyond making it easier for you to commit suicide, kill a loved one in a fit or rage, or have it used against you… guns make people avoid danger less. People “standing their ground” simply are more likely to invite danger, therefore increasing their chances of being killed.

The people I grew up with who liked to fight or who had an infatuation with guns were also the people who were more likely to go to jail or get killed.

Just for a matter of perspective we have 96+% eligible voters on our electoral roll, we have compulsory attendance at polling places (in metro electorates around 40 polling places), voting on Saturday and irrespective of which electorate you are enrolled in you can vote anywhere in Australia. Our normal turnout rate in a general election is around 90+%.

Yeah. So what your point? What I said there is true. And the same thing is true regarding the law in Australia and now New Zealand. It is driven by fear exaggerated by your respective governments to increase their control over you on the false promise of security.

1 Like

That has zero bearing on the issue of our Constitution. NONE.

Appalling to see that you have no empathy towards the almost 40,000 victims of gun related deaths in 2018 in the USA.

There is no way to determine whether it does more harm than good, because the only statistics are kept on the harm. No agency maintains records about harm not committed because of guns either used or even just brandished by non-criminal armed citizens. But the fact does remain, that the only thing that has been consistently shown to stop people from shooting other people is somebody else with a gun, whether that be an LEO or a private citizen. … and when the shooting starts and seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

Why should I? Most of them either deserved to be shot (criminal on criminal or cop on criminal) or shot themselves (instead of slitting their wrists or jumping off a bridge.) Relatively few victims of gun shot are innocents and of that category more die of other causes (mostly stabing, bludgeoning and strangulation,) than die by gun shot. It is misplaced emotion to only feel empathy for people who are shot.

Of course you can analyze the impact of guns on society… simply because you can never perfectly isolate every factor, doesn’t mean the topic can’t be studied at all nor does it mean there isn’t evidence of guns increasing the chances of premature death.

Also, I’m not saying that there aren’t situations where having a gun wouldn’t save your life, I’m saying overall the effects are more bad then good. You could win the jackpot, that doesn’t make playing lotto a wise investment strategy…my argument is based around probability.

I’m going to go out on a limb and blame Mr Rogers for getting them in touch with their feelings.

This entire paragraph is horse ■■■■■

No, it’s statistics and probability. Living in a house with a gun increases your chance of death.

The chance that someone is going to enter your home and you will need to use a gun to save your life is slimmer than the chance of you using that gun to commit suicide in a moment of despair.

Buying a gun makes it more likely for you to kill yourself than an intruder.

Of which you have provided zilch.

Just your opinion

Guns can kill you in three ways: homicide, suicide, and by accident. Owning a gun or having one readily accessible makes all three more likely. One meta-analysis ”found strong evidence for increased odds of suicide among persons with access to firearms compared with those without access and moderate evidence for an attenuated increased odds of homicide victimization when persons with and without access to firearms were compared.”

Here’s another good one

Most of this research—and there have been several dozen peer-reviewed studies—punctures the idea that guns stop violence. In a 2015 study using data from the FBI and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for example, researchers at Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard University reported that firearm assaults were 6.8 times more common in the states with the most guns versus those with the least. Also in 2015 a combined analysis of 15 different studies found that people who had access to firearms at home were nearly twice as likely to be murdered as people who did not.

I was born in 66, 3 kids and 2 of the 3 are responsible adults and the youngest is still finding herself. My son just went back to school for Electrical engineering and my oldest daughter just earned her 2nd service stripe and will be re-enlisting in the Navy in June. HOPING she will also pick up E6 (Petty Officer First Class). The youngest is struggling to find herself but she will get there. Not all of us born during that time raised snowflakes. Lol