New Zealand Gun Ban After Christchurch Shooting

I like style.

That’s the history of this country and now let’s observe whether or not, immigration will change that?

Why would you think that? The exploding populations of deer, rabbits and hares won’t wipe New Zealand off the map, but it will be a huge issue.

New Zealand was already fine. A gun ban won’t fix what’s not broken.

The premise of the OP was a “gun ban.”

And I did not even remotely suggest it would cause the collapse of their economy and/or government, I said it would be a huge issue. Are you familiar with the periodic rabbit problem in Australia?

Hey I agree with that, their country their laws.

1 Like

Then why is it getting breathless coverage in the US and reigniting the gun rights debate?

There’s not a law you could pass that would have prevented the Sandy Hook Massacre.

Having an AR that day made no difference in the number or types of casualties.

The same shooting could have been pulled off with a revolver or old 527 Remington Pump .22 Rifle.

NZ has always had a much lower homicide rate even before adopting restrictive gun laws.

Kangaroo populations are a much bigger problem.

Yes they are, but I made reference of their rabbit problem to Adam because New Zealand doesn’t have roos.

Why will it when the NZ legislation gives exemptions for farmers and pest control.

Because any first world nation that enacts stronger gun control legislation is going to resonate with the US media.

Can you show me one first world nation post WW2 that since enacting tighter gun control has degenerated into total anarchy or the government has turned tyrannical and now their population has no freedoms? No voting, no free speech, no access to a free and fair trial.

1 Like

We will see. Most deer in NZ are killed by people who harvest the meat for sale. Farmers only shoot them after they become a problem.

And it seems that the new legislation will exempt two classes of firearms that are commonly used for hunting, pest control, stock management on farms, and duck shooting (and yes that last sentence is quoted directly from the below Daily Telegraph article that provides a very balanced look at the NZ legislation.

As I said, we will see.

We’ve had plagues of rabbits in the SW on drought years in the past.

Thank goodness for bulk .22LR’s.

Might as well disband the legislature.

No idea what you are on about.

Racism and bigotry.