New York Times Retooling šŸ¤£

I donā€™t they think they are using their influences to sway voters i think there are some of the staff is printing stories to reineforce opinions. Thatā€™s a huge problem. A bigger one than trying to sway because it shows a bias cancer that needs to be excised. That being said what i got from the transcript is that the leadership is trying to do just that but has little understanding on how to do so.

They do you are right. I donā€™t think itā€™s spin. I think itā€™s earnest but i think he is not winning the fight.

1 Like

They actually lost me as a reader for a while because of their story lines. Every story on the front page of the website was almost always derogatory. It wasnā€™t until theyvstarted printing about effects of policy rather than orange man bad that i started reading them again

My current favorite is the automakers rejection of Trumps roll back of Obama era emission rules.

I think itā€™s both. Most of the writers are ensconced in leftward ways, NYC being the democrat stronghold that it is. I doubt they can pull the talent that doesnā€™t have their heads in the sand in that regard. But they try to sell themselves as a trusted news organization, and thatā€™s where the sway comes into play. In reality, this retool is just a pr stunt that is intended to give them cover in efforts to increase their influence.

2 Likes

Right thatā€™s last part is where we disagree. It is PR of course but not to the fullest extent. I think there is a struggle inside the organization not to be reactionary but reporting.

Where would you say that kind of talent is evident today?

1 Like

All thatā€™s missing is a ā€œTreason?ā€ and it could be an actual Trump tweet.

Its a difficult problem. How to be in the bag for the DNC and toadying up to your ā€œresistanceā€ audience, and at the same time have some flimsy claim to printing ā€œall the news thatā€™s fit to printā€.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know the details of that downward trend, but there is a big difference between an online mag that has its leader as perhaps the chief advisor to the President and an online mag with few connections and a former leader who wouldnā€™t be allowed near the WH.

fox news is headquartered in NYC

When the russia strategy fell through they switched to a racism strategy.

What happened to reporting the news rather than being a propaganda arm of the dem party???

I had been seeing reports on this and hoped some one would start a thread on it. :+1::smile:

They seem to share talking pts and strategies.

Well put! :+1:

Theyā€™re from the Bernstein and Woodward style Junk Journalism schools with delusions that since they took down a previous President (Nixon) they can do it again. As our gracious host Sean has said many times and for many years, American Journalism is dead!

1 Like

And Twitter is not reality, as publisher A.G. Sulzberger told the staff earlier in the session. ā€œYou know, someone did a study of Twitter shares that showed that 70 percent of all stories shared on Twitter were never opened,ā€ Sulzberger said. ā€œAnd to me, thatā€™s just a reminder that so much of the world is judging before theyā€™re actually engaging.ā€

Obviously. Who has time to read and learn when thereā€™s kneejerk outrage and finger-pointing to do ?

1 Like

I read the times almost daily from about 77/78 to 97. Hell I basically learn how to read reading the times. Just like Iā€™ve learn how to write here on this forumā€¦well attempting to read and write. :wink:

Good question. You can blame education/schools. Objective journalism been deadā€¦died with Tim Russert. Even thou he was ā€œliberalā€ he would go after anyone.

I could respect that. Much better than whatā€™s going on now.

One thing i liked about Leno in the comedy field is he didnā€™t cull anybody.

That ended with Leno as well as for late night tv.

I beg you, actually read All the Presidentā€™s Men.

3 years they lied to their readersā€¦ And they knew it! They will never have any credibility.

2 Likes