New video of the George Floyd arrest

Lol yeah, speaking of this, let’s talk about how the Minneapolis ME decided to do something forensic pathologists never do and that’s hazard a guess about cause of death that he has zero evidence of.

And that happened because [checks notes] pretty much every police related death is investigated in a way that gives the benefit of the doubt to the cops and works backwards from trying to exonerate them.

1 Like

The Minneapolis Police Department is a disgrace.

1 Like

Blue privilege. Benefit of the doubt.

I don’t know that it’s true, but it wouldn’t surprise me a bit.

No. Not at all.

If George Floyd had ODed on fentanyl, he’d have been in a coma within a minute of taking the dose.

I do.

Oh I agree.

The problem is the charges being filed. We’re talking murder 2 charges, which require the intentional killing of the victim.

I warned in the thread when this first happened all those months ago that they needed to be very careful about not over-charging the officers. Manslaughter and Murder 3 would have almost been no brainers. But they chose to try and make a big charge out of it for the optics and if or when those inflated charges don’t stick, people are gonna be pissed all over again.

That’s where the insidiousness of fentanyl, and other high-powered synthetics comes in - the more potent the opiate, the faster the nod to sleep to dead cycle passes.

1 Like

No, the 2nd degree charges against the cops are felony murder charges. No intent necessary.

3 Likes

Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon. Baltimore Sun reporter was embedded with Baltimore Homicide for an entire year, 1988. It’s pretty much the only truly honest book from the police point of view because the commissioner that allowed Simon to do it was fired and the new one didn’t know about it and they just forgot about him. No trading for access.

And from that book, we got the two best police procedural television shows in history.

1 Like

Dope in my city has been almost all fentanyl for twenty years. Stolen from hospitals. Easier and cheaper to get than heroin even back then.

Might want to look up what classified as unintentional second degree murder. It’s going to be a stretch.

They have to prove they were intending to cause bodily harm.

A person also can be charged if a death is caused without intent “while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict bodily harm upon the victim, when the perpetrator is restrained under an order for protection.”

Yeah, forgot, Barry Levinson would adapt the book as Homicide: Life on the Streets and then David Simon himself would adapt it as The Wire. They went for a combined twelve seasons and didn’t manage to exhaust all the stuff in that book. It is truly a towering work of true crime.

My single favorite Easter egg of all time is the real Jay Landsman from the book (who played Mello on The Wire), the fictional Jay Landsman from the The Wire and Richard Belzer as the Homicide show’s version of Landsman, Munch, all drinking at the bar together.

1 Like

No. That’s not the felony murder statute.

Whoever does either of the following is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting

I read an interview with the real Landsman, where he talked about auditioning to play himself. He didn’t get the role.

Delaney Williams - the fictional Landsman - talked about the real Landsman’s audition as well.

1 Like

Yeah, the first OD I saw was from fentanyl. He didn’t do the math right.

There was a Baltimore connection in NYC, that flooded the market with heroin all through the years I was paying attention. I didnt know anything about Fentanyl until I moved to Florida. I moved in 2003.

You want to hear something even crazier? The real Jay Landsman just retired from being a homicide detective like last year. He did like twenty years with Baltimore PD and then another twenty with Baltimore County. Dude is god tier.

1 Like

Let’s stay on topic please.

He certainly went unconscious. It happens to drug addicts everyday. They die.

That’s not how opiate overdoses work.

Opiate overdoses are a cliff - as long as you don’t fall off, you’re good. If you OD on fentanyl (fall off the cliff), you’ll be in a coma within 60 seconds of taking the dose.