New U.S. Ambassador to Germany Off to a Good Start...?

Richard Grenell
:heavy_check_mark:
@RichardGrenell
As @realDonaldTrump said, US sanctions will target critical sectors of Iran’s economy. German companies doing business in Iran should wind down operations immediately.

2:42 PM - May 8, 2018
8,819 people are talking about this

The Germans aren’t too happy with him. trump-era diplomacy at work.

Par for the course.

Why should German companies stop work in Iran because o US sanctions?

I did a double take when I saw Grenell was ambassador. Previously, that guy was probably as well-known for being a twitter troll as he was for anything else. But then again, there’s a notorious twitter troll in the White House, so . . .

3 Likes

Because Trump is threatening to Sanction Germany over it.

The same article says Merkel had urged Trump not to abandon the sanctions. So in lib world it is ok for the Germans to tell the US what we should do but not ok for the US to advise Germans what to do. Typical anyone but the US stance of lib foreign policy.

Merkel make a request.

Trump’s administration is making a threat.

Or…Merkel made an order
Trump administration gave advice

Uh, no.

It’s a threat if there is some consequence, which in this instance is potentially US sanctions against German businesses working in Iran.

So if someone says “don’t drink that…it may not be good for you” they are threatening you because they are warning you that there might be some consequences? I don’t think so.
But good try to defend the foreign country and work a dig in against the US.

Isn’t it more like “don’t drink that…or I’ll punch you in your face.”?

1 Like

That’s not the same at all.

Your example, there is danger in the action inherently. In Trump’s example, the danger is from actions Trump is choosing to engage in.

I’m not working in a dig against the US. I’m working in a dig at the Trump administration.

At one time politics ended at the shore line. Trump hate knows no bounds. There was absolutely nothing wrong in what the ambassador said. It was his opinion that it would not be advisable to continue to work with Iran. No one was threatened. “Threatened” can be recognized by “if you do x, then we will do y to you”.

Nice business you have here in Germany. Shame if something were to happen to it.

Not a threat, am I right?

why must some defend this administration tooth and nail when they know in their heart it is corrupt as hell

Literally, no. He is advising that investing in an Iran damaged by sanctions would be a bad investment, not an implied threat that he is going to blow up your dry cleaning business if you don’t pay protection money.

Germany knows what’s going on. This isn’t a secret. US sanctions against Iran are going to be pointless unless they also go after business partners with Iran.

Why should some trash this administration tooth and nail, "when they know “n their heart” that it is doing a pretty go job? That’s in spite of the constant trashing, Which in my heart (actually in my brain) I think is pretty amazing.

Have you posted a single positive post about Trump? You are the opposite mirror image of the question you asked?